Tuesday, February 9, 2010

"Pool Room" Painting: Welcome to My House

So far, this is just a great day. As my "warm-up" today I decided to start a series of interiors around my house ... something that I've been wanting to do for a very long time. My painting is always best when it's deeply personal, when I'm showing you a moment, place, memory that's important to me.

The pool room depicted here is just feet away from my home studio ... where I've been stationed due to the Mid-Atlantic snowstorms and the large portrait commission that I can't create at the Artists' Atelier (my shared studio at 1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA). This is pretty close to the view I'd have from my easel if the portrait I have on it was smaller. I'm perpendicular to it ... still with my own cozy view of the fireplace. Not a bad place to be during a snowstorm.

"Pool Room" is tiny ... only 6"h x 8"w. It was fun to wreak havoc on the sense of scale that way. Like constructing a dollhouse. There's a special intimacy and charm with this small size.

Since I decorated and thought through this house, it has all these wonderful places to be, to sit, to enjoy. I hope this painting is one of many home-based interiors to be accomplished soon.

Other interior paintings from my restaurant series can be found in the Places section of the Gallery pages on my web site: www.jillbanks.com.

Now, back to the portrait.

"Pool Room", oil on Raymar panel, 6"h x 8"w, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: