Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Home Interior Painting #2 and My Free Model

The setting of "Snow Day" is my family room where I set up "shop" today. Husband Randy, a notoriously paintbrush-shy kind of guy, modeled at no charge and willingly. This is his normal reading and computer-browsing spot ... so not too painful or taxing an arrangement.

The star of this painting, though is the blue chair and ottoman. Draped over top is a Virginia Tech afghan that our son Sam, a VA Tech student, gave to his two University of Virginia grad parents. Perched on the seat is a rabbit pillow I sewed in my craft-making period ... when I was working in career #1 and hadn't yet realized that painting was my passion. Painting interiors is interesting, particularly painting my own home ... because there's a history and life that belongs to the space. It's in the furniture. (Blue chair and ottoman that previously belonged to my parents. Oriental coffee table that was inspired by my oldest brother and sister-in-laws furnishings.) Even when a space is empty, it carries with it the family gatherings it held host to ... talks and laughter. Naps on the couch.

I'm taking a rest from painting on the commissioned portrait today. So today's agenda is this painting, some cooking, and later, I'll see what else I can squeeze in.

What I want to work on: narrow my focus for interiors, too ... select fewer objects to contend with, concentrate on bolder, larger shapes.  This was a lot to pack into this little canvas, but I think no matter what the canvas size, that's a good goal for me.

"Snow Day"work in progress, oil on Raymar panel, 9"h x 12"w, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: