Thursday, February 11, 2010

"Corner Seat": Welcome to My House #3

Being snowed in certainly has its advantages. I like this latest painting ... of a spot in my living room ... a lot. I may work more on it tomorrow morning when the sun streams through again. I kept with the simple shapes,  a goal of mine mentioned in yesterday's post. It's all about the light.

All these interiors are inspired by a number of factors. Our house is on the market and I'm not sure exactly where we'll end up living. So, uncertainty ... inspires my wanting to capture the beauty, comfort, coziness of home. I also just admire interiors. One of my favorite paintings at the Allied Artist of America show (that I was in) was a little interior painting. Almost overlooked, the painting became more special ... like a little gem that drew you in. (Hmmm ... (in)terior.)

Some of my favorite paintings are of interiors. Among them are John Singer Sargent's (American, 1856-1925) "Repose" at the National Gallery of Art. I liked this one so much I copied it and it's hanging in Randy's office. I also love Sargent's "The Breakfast Table" that hangs in Harvard's Fogg Museum. I've included a photo I took of that one here as well. There's so much to learn by just looking.

As I'm adding these photos to this post ... it dawned on me that I need to be brave (or stupid) to put my own painting, my copy of a Sargent and a photo of a Sargent painting on the same post.

From top to bottom: "Corner Seat", oil on Raymar panel, 8"h x 6"w, copyright Jill Banks 2010.
"After Sargent's "Repose"", oil on linen, 24"h x 20"w, painted by me (Jill Banks) 2008.
"The Breakfast Table", oil on canvas, John Singer Sargent, painted 1883-84 (according to the plaque on the wall at the Harvard Museum. Photo taken by me.


By the way, Harvard's Fogg Museum was truly an unexpected treat. What an unbelievable collection!!! Randy and I visited Boston in the Spring of 2008 and thoroughly enjoyed the art treasures there.  In one, two, three order for Boston's art destinations are: the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, the Museum of Fine Art (Boston), and the Harvard Art Museum

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: