Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"A Dozen Roses" Painting Today

This painting is my second start of the same setup today during my still life class (that I teach through the Great Falls Foundation for the Arts). Find out more about classes and workshops I offer on my web site: www.jillbanks.com, click on classes. The first one was a close-up (a small portion of the scene) done on a much larger canvas. This one's painted from much farther back in the room -- taking in more of the scene than I ever would have attempted if my easel was set up close to the still life. What stepping back made me see was the potential to frame the image at the top and right side ... and to see some interesting shapes.

Scale is fascinating ... and a powerful tool. Fun to explore.

"A Dozen Roses"  sketch, oil on linen, 12"h x 9"w, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: