Thursday, January 14, 2010

Using a Bit of Imagination



I spent most of the day working more on "Orange and Orchid" ... and I'm still not finished. Considering the relatively small size, this one's time-consuming.

Then, I decided to return to the portrait I painted last Saturday, and work without a source (no model, no photo) to make it a more intriguing painting. I already liked it, just wanted to accomplish some effects I couldn't achieve in an alla prima portrait within that short a timeframe. I renamed it, too. The old title no longer fits.

Hope you like it.

A painting sold today, too. "Orange Peeled", the painting that won Best of Show November 2008 at the Art League's Small Works Exhibit found a new home. That's the tenth painting that sold as a result of my Home Studio Open House held this past December.

"Rachel", oil on linen, 14"h x 11"w, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

2 comments:

Elizabeth Seaver said...

This portrait is gorgeous, Jill. The colors are so warm.

Jill Banks said...

Thanks Elizabeth ... I actually just replaced the photo on my blog with a new one taken in natural light -- outdoors. It's not quite as warm.