Monday, January 11, 2010

A Real Hero

Un-art blog ahead. Warning.

My dad's visiting a hospital in Hilton Head ... having gone in two nights ago with chest pains, a heart attack but fortunately with no heart damage, undergoing an angioplasty with some more medical adventures to come. My dad is smack-dab in the middle of the universe for me. When I was in 5th grade, I entered a contest run by the Homewood/Flossmoor paper (Illinois, outside of Chicago) about what made my dad the world's best. I came in second place. The judges were mistaken. (He's the top place winner!)

For me, the key to why he is (and was) the world's greatest dad is that he always has time for me. The answer is always yes. Ten thousand hoops might stand in the way, but hey, it's mind over matter. I mattered. (Tons of other people in his life have known the same ... they matter to him.)

He's 79 and has lived his entire life with the understanding that someone may be looking up to him ... and he better live up to it. It is a responsibility. What a beautiful concept. I hate to mix tales about a real hero and a fake one ... but do you think Mark McGwire thought about how his admirers might be affected by the truth? There's no bubble to burst with my dad. He's the real thing. To say I lucked out is a ridiculous understatement.

So, okay Dad. You're not just in my center of the universe. You're in a whole, whole, whole bunch of folks'. Take care of yourself. Take in the big picture of just how important your next 25 years is to us ... versus tomorrow night's entertainment for your grandkid and his great girlfriend. Get very well. We love you!!!!

Tuesday's 1/12/10 P.S. Dad called on his way home from the hospital today. He's feeling much better and glad to leave the hospital bed behind. Yea! Now he really needs to behave.

5 comments:

myra anderson said...

what a wonderful Dad! hope he will be okay! with luv - Myra

Jill Banks said...

You're right! See my note left today at the end of yesterday's post... he's out of the hospital and doing better. Jill

Cindy Grisdela said...

I'm glad your dad is on the mend, Jill. He's a great guy! Reminds me of my dad.

Unknown said...

Jill

You hit the nail on the head. Your dad is one in a million and an important part of all of our lives. We were both shocked at the news and delighted at the outcome so far. Getting him to "behave" is another challenge altogether:) Give him a big hug for us please and one for your mom and yourself, too.
Love you all..
Larry & Nancy

Jill Banks said...

Larry and Nancy,
Thanks and that's a lot of good hugging. I think the behaving is going well ... he loves us all as much as we love him. That apparently is worth changing some habits.
Love you, too.
Jill