Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Day in the Life


Today touches on all aspects of my life as an artist. This morning I took over a painting to try it out in a spot in a collector's (and friend's) home. "Fruit and Wine", my painting of a Burano market, is now sold, although I plan on helping reframe the piece to better fit its designated spot. It will be fun to live with there. I also got a kick out of my friend realizing where it should go in her house after seeing it among other paintings on my wall at the studio.

Other parts of my typical day in the life of an artist ... may or may not happen. I planned on being in the studio for open studio hours but instead had brunch with husband Randy to celebrate my third surprise sale of 2010. In between posting my blog, I'm struggling to put the final touches on "Tranquility" before photographing it. That's my top priority. Assuming I finish it, I'll be heading to the open life session at the McLean Community Center (from 4 to 7:30pm). Right after that, I head to an Art Jam at fellow artist friend Tricia Ratliff's house ... for lots of talk of art.

The Art Jam is not every day ... but my social life is centered around art, friends (often art friends) and family. And, I'm going there figuring that I'll know a lot of people through multiple art circles and those I don't know, will easily become new friends. It's an interesting phenomenon based on a solid common ground.

So, today included a sale, the trials of finishing a painting, the hopes of starting a new one (open life) and sharing stories and ideas with a bunch of art friends. Pretty wonderful life.

By the way, this sale marks the third painting of my market series ... of the four paintings in my market cards pack (for those of you who have those) ... to have sold. There's only one left, "Rialto Market", a great painting offered for sale through Chasen Galleries in Richmond, VA.  See more of my market paintings on my web site's gallery pages (places and still life, I believe).




From top to bottom:  "Fruit and Wine" painting of a Burano market, 24"h x 36"w, oil on linen, copyright Jill Banks 2009. Sold.
"Rialto Market" painting of a Venice market, 24"h x 36"w, oil on linen, copyright Jill Banks 2009. Offered through Chasen Galleries.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: