Saturday, January 9, 2010

Alla Prima Portrait Today


Today, I took advantage of the Saturday long pose open life session at the McLean Community Center (McLean, VA). What a treat! Monday, I start teaching my winter session at Great Falls School of Art (see classes) ... and I'll be demonstrating ... so I always welcome the practice of just painting before needing to paint and talk simultaneously.

Each session is three-and-a-half hours with a different model and pose. I will try to catch as many of these as possible. This is the first time I've used the session to paint (versus drawing). I'm so much faster painting! In about 40 minutes a lot of the portrait was established.

This is an alla prima painting ... painted all at once, wet into wet in a single session.

I'm loosening up ... getting all my painting muscles in shape for 2010. So far, so good!

"Alla Prima Portrait," oil on Senso linen, 14"h x 11"w, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: