Friday, January 15, 2010

Progress Report Etc.

You know, I painted today ... and had a GREAT painting day ... and I can't show you what was so great about it.  Well, that's no fun.

I've been working on a really, really big portrait commission and loving it. It's one of those projects that you work your tail off on, and still end up only making a dent each day. I know what it's going to look like finished (unbelievable!!!), yet I have ten gadzillion brushstrokes left until the rest of you (and my clients) see it, too.

For this portrait commission I'm relying on a huge array of photos and images stuck in my head. I've found having multiple, non-specific sources interesting, because it keeps me thinking from start to finish ... just as I do when I work from life.

See my web site for information on commissioning a portrait: www.jillbanks.com. My pricing will be increasing shortly (probably January 31). If you've been thinking about commissioning a piece, now just might be the best time to do so.

One of my breakthroughs was a compositional solution I came up with. (Yet to be implemented.) I don't like to leave long, unbroken expanses of lines or curves. One piece of the painting needs to lure the eye to another part and any unbroken lines tend to divide the canvas. I know how to break the curve.

This will make a whole lot more sense when the portrait's finished and you can see it revealed. My target date is by March 1. As usual, stay tuned.


Since I couldn't show you what I painted today, here's "Orange and Orchid" work in progress day 2 (worked on last Wednesday).

"Orange and Orchid" painting in progress Day 2, oil on Senso linen, 12"h x 9"w, copyright Jill Banks 2010. This is a pretty rough photo -- taken at night, wet paint, yellow light. Not perfect conditions, by a long shot.

For those following my Dad's progress: He's in Hilton Head resting comfortably and happily. My son Sam and his girlfriend Michelle have left to head to Richmond and then back to VA Tech. Dad has tests coming up the next two weeks and then I think will come back home to Virginia for some other procedures. I don't get that many comments on my blog but I have about my hero blog. (Emails, too.) There are a LOT of people who love him. No surprise there.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: