Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Happy New Year and Gallery-Hopping in Naples

I took the past week "off" ... sort of ... spending time in Naples, Florida looking at galleries and enjoying less frigid, but not warm weather.  I'm glad I wasn't looking forward to just soaking in sunshine, because Mother Nature wasn't cooperating.


First of all, the galleries I visited were terrific ... with welcoming, informative, friendly staff and some beautiful art. I saw a beautiful post-humous, retrospective show at New Rivers Gallery of Frank Mason's work. Frank Mason (1921-2009) taught at the Art Students League in New York ... and as you might expect with a show spanning a long career, there was a tremendous variety in subject matters and changes in styles apparent as he evolved. There were some beautiful, large-scale still lifes but what I was most attracted to were his drawings. My favorites were "Head of a Woman: three-quarter view" and "Anticoli Corrado, Italy" -- an ink wash. I would love to take those home with me. There are 29 (total) of those, and as the woman in the gallery kindly stated, "they will not last." In other words, the time is now. There won't be any more. I want them. I want them. I want them. I'd make the best rich woman in the world. All of my purchases would be art. Seriously. Art is haunting. A permanent stamp on your brain cells. (Owning it is the best medicine.)

In each gallery I kept being attracted to relatively small works. This was the first time that I really paid attention to deceased artists' work in a gallery setting. (I'm sort of ashamed to say that... but I'm a mono-focused individual ... it skews my vision.) One artist's work that I saw in two galleries, the Darvish Collection and DeBruyne Fine Art, Edouard Leon Cortes (French, 1882-1969), just left me spellbound. I LOVE it. Cortes painted Paris streets. The ones I hope to walk. The paintings I saw truly are enchanting. I do need to be rich to buy them, which I'm unfortunately not (hopefully that's temporary or at least not forever).

I watched collectors as they entered each gallery. I've said before that I love collectors (I love collectors), but I just really do. We need you!!! Plus, it's such a soul-satisfying  experience to know that someone loves your work enough to purchase it. During my gallery visits, I had the opportunity to be a proverbial fly on the wall -- hear the comments of collectors on what appealed to them and why. One collector was there with friends and one friend was encouraging her to buy a particular piece because she loved it and wanted someplace to visit it. I understand. (But, I'd rather buy it and live with it myself.)

The week was full of inspiration and information gathering. I've been re-fueling a bit lately because I'm reaching for some more "greatness" this year. I try to understand this art world from all angles: from the eyes of a collector, an artist, a gallerist, a lover of art. In the midst of my inspiration gathering, I was also looking for galleries I would want to exhibit my work. I found some and will be approaching them in 2010.

Some galleries to visit when in Naples (Florida):
DeBruyne Fine Art - the largest gallery in Naples with a split between contemporary artists and those who've left us a while ago. (I think their web site needs to be less flashy -- but this is a wonderful gallery. Visit!)
New River Fine Art - since the Frank Mason show was occupying most of the gallery, I don't know what you'd see after the show comes down. Such a great experience, though, with a helpful, knowledgeable gallerist.
Gardner-Colby Fine Art - a bit eclectic (some abstract, impressionist, realism), fine taste. Love Kim English, Timothy Horn. Andrea talked to Randy and me. She's wonderful, helpful, enthusiastic.
Galerie du Soleil - sculptures, art glass, paintings.
Weatherburn Gallery - not in downtown Naples, concentrating in photorealism.
Trudy Labell Fine Art - out of the main drag, a bit edgier, but Trudy has an eye for the "best in class." Fantastic art, beautifully displayed. Joel Babb's beach scenes are stunners.
The Darvish Collection - again, great help. A bit stuffier display. (I could fix that.)

I also saw beautiful art (by more dead guys) across the street from the Darvish Collection in an antique store. Gorgeous.

These are the highlights. (For me.)

Want to eat well? Try Truluck's happy hour in the bar (fantastic hors d'ouevres), McCabe's Irish Pub, Bice's happy hour or prix fixe early bird. (I was only in Naples for two-and-a-half days.)

Happy New Year to You! I hope it's wonderful, art-filled, soulful.

Keep tuned. I will be painting. Creating. Posting new art. Very, very soon.

Haven't signed up for classes yet? See my web site. Now!


For a visual, I decided to give you one of my interiors. This is "Pre-Dinner Drinks" - a painting of the parlor of the Inn at Little Washington where my husband Randy and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. You can get a glimpse of the two of us in the mirror. The original is sold.

"Pre-Dinner Drinks", oil on Raymar panel, 12"h x 9"w, copyright Jill Banks 2005. This painting was a finalist in Raymar's Annual Art Competition.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: