Monday, January 25, 2010

"Tranquility" Finished ... Phew!


After days of torture, I finally, finally finished "Tranquility" in time for today's submission deadline to a competition. I'm still relying on daylight to take my digital photos for submission ... and today ... again, the final day, we lost power in the am due to a wind & rain storm and had intermittent showers all day. A real nail-biter. I'd go out when it wasn't raining. Take photos. Edit them. Decide something was still amiss. Change something on the painting. Take photos again. Repeat. Repeat. So you know, I did the same thing yesterday. And the day before (instead of attending the open life session and open studio hours at the Atelier.) And, in the end, I know this version is not all that different than the version from three days ago. I'm happy with it in the end, but wouldn't you think there was a shorter route to getting there?

Creating art is a humbling experience. Sometimes, anyway.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, please.

"Tranquility", oil on linen, 30"h x 24"w, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

1 comment:

Liz Anderson Simmons said...

Jill, it was a pleasure modeling for you and the other Atelier artists! I like the name Tranquility--I was absolutely at peace in the studio. As a model, I see myself as a "template" or a starting point for the artist, and I'm happy to simply serve as a muse and detach from the artist's vision for his/her work. Rarely have I seen a finished work that captures my spirit as well as my form, and never as exquisitely as this; you have a real gift for portraiture. Thank you for sharing the work in progress on your blog--it was a treat to see the painting come to life. Congratulations on finishing and best of luck in show!