Friday, January 22, 2010

Looking Back: Hurray to 2009!


While I'm figuring out just how I can make 2010 a roaring success (good start already), I'm taking some time in-between brushstrokes to appreciate just how terrific 2009 was for my art career... thanks to some incredibly terrific supporters -- enthusiasts, jurors, collectors, students, and my art buddies.

Quick recap of three of 2009 highlights:
Since I'm "looking back", I figured an apropos visual would be my "Over the Shoulder" painting. This one is one of only two that I painted in oil on paper ... a little unusual experiment. What's interesting about it is that unlike on canvas, you can't wipe out any paint marks (you can paint over them -- but can't "erase" back to the paper's surface). So, all my "intentions" as a painter show. It's immediate, fresh and moody.  Still, the reason that there's only two of them is that I don't like the "feel" or tug on the brush that the paper gave. I love working on canvas (actually, Belgian linen) too much to give it up.

"Over the Shoulder", oil on Canson paper, copyright Jill Banks 2007. (That's a bit of a guess. Created in Robert Liberace's class at the Art League.)

By the way, I have a really exciting, jam-packed, special "life as an artist" day lined up for tomorrow. I might write about it later on today. So, stay tuned...

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: