Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Moving Day: Torpedo Factory

My side of Studio #333 at the Torpedo Factory -- seen through the window
Although my first planned painting day at the Torpedo Factory Arts Center isn't until this Thursday, August 2, Randy and I took the main load of paintings and some gear there today and hung the wall. Actually, Randy hung the wall(s) and I supervised.

The main workspace area is in the back -- toward the windows
If tiredness hadn't been a factor (just from a lack of sleep), I would have been reveling a lot more over how decidedly wonderful this place is. While paintings were going up, I kept peeking out to see a shower of art spirit right outside (and inside) my window. This morning, during load in -- it felt really conspicuous to be rolling in large art carts over tile floors while visitors roamed in and out of the galleries. There will be some of that tomorrow -- as the furniturish (made up word) items are left to be installed in the studio (like my own taboret, a sculpture stand, light stand, etc.)

Just like everything else, this is a lot of work -- and my stay at the Torpedo Factory is only one month long. I'm sure it will fly by. I hope all of you come to visit. There is so much to see there -- for me and you. One of my goals is to explore on my off (not already scheduled) hours and review some of my favorites here. There are 82 studios here!

Don't miss what's back in the workspace area... some favorites
Studio #333 at the Torpedo Factory (at 105 N. Union Street, Alexandria, VA) is normally occupied by Beverly Ryan whose Summer travels have freed up the studio for Visiting Resident Studio Artists. Her work occupies the right side of the studio and my paintings are on the left. Our styles/work is completely different, but the proximity makes me worry that someone is going to think I have a split art personality. It is confusing. A dilemma to try to solve sometime soon.

The floors are concrete. Hard. I'll also have to work on that.

My official hours there on Thursday are from 2-9pm. Tomorrow I'll be in and out in the afternoon.

And there are five paintings and drawings in the studio right now -- of sights in London -- in honor of the Olympic games. They include "London Times," "Parliament," "Tower of London," "Buckingham Palace Fountain," and "Duck Pond at St. James Park." Come take a look.

Exhibits and Events (Now look at this on the Events page at www.JillBanks.com)

August, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA, Studio #333. See regular hours/days, reception, demo dates on the events page on my web site.  
Reception: Thursday, August 9, 6-9pm (2nd Thursday Art Night receptions throughout the Torpedo Factory).  
Portrait painting demos: Sunday, August 12 and August 19, 1 to 5pm with a great model.
I'll be in my studio:
Mondays, 10am-5pm
Thursdays, 2-9pm
Friday, noon-6pm
Saturdays, noon to 6pm
Sundays, noon to 6pm
Other events/times will be listed on my event page on my new web site. I hope to see you there!

July 7- August 31, Artists' Atelier, "Water, Water, Everywhere" group exhibit, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA.  Open Saturdays, noon - 4pm. 

August 1-10, "Quiet" in Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Exhibition held at Denise Bibro Fine Art, Chelsea, NYC.

Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066

Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435


No comments: