Friday, July 20, 2012

Painting the Brown Portrait: Day 4

Portrait in progress, oil, 30"h x 40"w
It's seven minutes until post time ... so I better type quickly.

This is the third day of painting a portrait of Lou and Carolyn Brown. (Day 1 was a sketching day.) Stuff keeps getting added to my living room, like a ruler to make sure the coffee table line is straight, my various sketches, a new color or two, our drinks, the USA Today, etc. Lou and Carolyn arrive each day and head straight to their couch and sit. No stopping on the way ... and that's how we spend each morning.

We've had some funny exchanges. When I mentioned to Carolyn at the end of today's session that I was pleased with the day's progress, she said "I'm glad you're pleased with it." That could be taken numerous ways.

My parents had the Browns, Randy and I over for dinner. Carolyn talked about my "erasing." They have seen me -- a few times -- dip my paper towel in Gamsol and scrub a section of the canvas. They then try to guess which one of them or what part has disappeared. Good reason. Lou's face disappeared between the first and second day.

I believe all three of us are having fun.
New Web Site
One drawing was added today to the Drawing Collection on my Works page. ("Buckingham Palace Fountain" -- one of my favorites from last year's London trip. Go to www.JillBanks.com. Sign up for Fall classes, now listed. Please join my email newsletter list. Thanks to those of you who already signed up!


Exhibits and Events (Now look at this on the Events page at www.JillBanks.com)
July 7- August 31, Artists' Atelier, "Water, Water, Everywhere" group exhibit, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA.  Open Saturdays, noon - 4pm.

August, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA, Studio #333

 August 1-10, "Quiet" in Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Exhibition held at Denise Bibro Fine Art, Chelsea, NYC.

Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066

Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project

Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: