Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day Eight: The Brown Portrait and a Doll

Carolyn, me, Lou in front of the portrait in progress
This morning was the last day that Carolyn and Lou Brown came through the door and walked straight to the couch in my living room ...  to sit for their portrait. Randy and I then took them to lunch and to the airport for their flight back home to Alabama. I can't imagine not seeing them tomorrow morning. It's been a really fun week. We heard the three-legged pig joke at lunch today. I should say after lunch which is oftentimes the best time to hear one of Lou's jokes.


"Clown Girl and Kisses" will be heading to Alabama...
So for eight days while I've been staring at the two of them, Carolyn and Lou have been staring at my painting across the room -- "Clown Girl and Kisses." Today, Carolyn asked Lou if he had asked about the painting. He said no, and then asked if the painting was for sale. I said yes and Lou said he'd take it. It will be Carolyn's birthday present. I'm so glad that it will be with them. While all of us have some great memories of this time together, having "Clown Girl and Kisses" up on their wall in Alabama will just reinforce them.

Carolyn started laughing today -- and said tomorrow morning she's probably going to head for the couch. Randy cleared the easel and my gear out of the living room -- back to my studio. Otherwise I'd probably head to the corner there.

There's still a long way to go on their portrait, but it's off to a good, solid start. My living room will be there as a model. I'm holding onto their cribbage board and cards until done. That much staring will pay off. See the Portrait collection on my web site to see some of my finished paintings.

The Brown Portrait ... work in progress, day 8
Lou does a very funny impression of me painting. Apparently I stick my neck forward and squint. Then, pull back with a surprised look and open eyes. Must be a scary sight.

Web Updates
While resting up after getting back home, I put up five paintings -- on my web site ... including "Clown Girl and Kisses" and my four remaining Beanie Baby paintings. You can find them in the Still Life section of my Works portfolio.

Exhibits and Events (Now look at this on the Events page at www.JillBanks.com)

August, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA, Studio #333. See regular hours/days, reception, demo dates on the events page on my web site.  
Reception: Thursday, August 9, 6-9pm (2nd Thursday Art Night receptions throughout the Torpedo Factory).  
Portrait painting demos: Sunday, August 12 and August 19, 1 to 5pm with a great model.
I'll be in my studio:
Mondays, 10am-5pm
Thursdays, 2-9pm
Friday, noon-6pm
Saturdays, noon to 6pm
Sundays, noon to 6pm
Other events/times will be listed on my event page on my new web site. I hope to see you there!

July 7- August 31, Artists' Atelier, "Water, Water, Everywhere" group exhibit, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA.  Open Saturdays, noon - 4pm. 


 August 1-10, "Quiet" in Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Exhibition held at Denise Bibro Fine Art, Chelsea, NYC.

Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066

Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project

Email
Phone: 703.403.7435


2 comments:

Jerry Stocks said...

Jill, you are without a doubt one of the most talented artists I know. Love, love, love the portrait of Carolyn and Lou. Tell Randy "Hi" from me.

Jill Banks said...

Thank you, Jerry. Randy says "hi" back. Carolyn and Lou are a treasure. It was interesting to have two people sitting at one time. Difficult to figure out who to paint ... when.

Say hi to Ray, Ivie, Spencer and Sandor for us.