Thursday, July 5, 2012

"Up Close and Personal In Paint: An Artist's Journey"

"Up Close and Personal in Paint: An Artists Journey" book -- poor photo. Nice book. Arrived today.
... arrived today. About two weeks ago, I sent files off to blurb.com for a portfolio book/overview of my work with 55 paintings, and today it came. I was working away at the computer only to glance back at husband Randy who was checking it out -- without informing the author (me) of its presence.

It looks really good. Much better than my dismal photo lets on. I'll try to do a better job and replace it later.

How to Get a Bull to Sit for You

Jamie Wyeth (b. 1946), Angus, 1974.
Oil on canvas
I was going to retell this story from memory (because it's vivid), but found it on the Brandywine River Museum site. At the museum, I saw Jamie Wyeth's painting "Angus" and loved the story attached to its coming to be. For those of you who know me, I'm constantly trying to figure out how to capture subjects from life, whether they are willing or not. The Brandywine River Museum was a true treasure because so often I got to view the painting and "hear" the artist's voice and observations. This was one of the funny ones.

From their (Brandywine River Museum) press release dated March 2008:

"Moo" was painted from a very cooperative cow at Kidwell Farm in Herndon, VA. No bribes involved but I've been hard-pressed to find another equally great sitter myself. Yea, Moo. Private collection.
Jamie Wyeth (b. 1946) is renowned for his paintings of animals and animal portraits. He goes beyond the broad characteristics of the animals to capture individual differences, finding aspects not unlike those of people. Wyeth discovered the cattle featured in Angus in Pennsylvania Dutch country and purchased them because he knew he wanted to paint them. (JB: I never thought about buying a herd of cattle to paint them. Wonder what husband Randy would have to say about that.)

Angus depicts a herd of black Angus cattle staring menacingly from the canvas. In an interview about the painting, Wyeth said "They were wonderful models once I figured out a system for keeping their attention. My farmer feeds them out of a truck, and I would go out into the field with my easel and set it up inside the truck. All the cattle would come around and look right up at me; every half hour I kicked out a bale of hay to keep them there.

"They all had numbers around the necks and #78 was nuts she'd go right after you and was much more dangerous than a bull. One day, I was drawing in the field, totally lost in thought, and I all of a sudden felt this hot breath on the back of my neck. I turned my head around slowly and all I could see was #78's tag. I flew over the fence andthe painting was finished."



Pretty good idea, huh?

Exhibits and Events

August, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA, Studio #333

August 1-10, "Quiet" in Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Exhibition held at Denise Bibro Fine Art, Chelsea, NYC.

Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066

Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project

Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

Exhibits and Events
August, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA, Studio #333

August 1-10, "Quiet" in Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Exhibition held at Denise Bibro Fine Art, Chelsea, NYC.

Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066

Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100):
www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

No comments: