Friday, July 13, 2012

Tail Chasing and the List

"Rapunzel" (formerly "Charmin"), oil, 20"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
One of my regular activities each day is to read Fine Art Views, a daily online newsletter by various guest authors on the subject of art marketing, inspiration and art business. There's almost always some piece of information that I find useful.

A couple of days ago, Jack White wrote a post about three key ingredients to a successful art career: passion, planning and people. He offered some great ideas in all three categories ... particularly under the planning heading. One was super simple: the list of 10 top priorities for each day. Those things you need to do. Just typing those words reminds me how easy it is to get sidetracked.

Today is the deadline for applying to a juried exhibit and taking care of that consumed a good portion of my day, but I got something more out of it than that. To apply to this particular exhibit, I had to 1) select which two pieces to enter, 2) register with a new online jurying portal site, 5) retrieve a painting from the Artists' Atelier in Great Falls (where I share a studio with 13 other artists), 3) print out wall tags for the "Water" exhibit to bring to the Atelier when picking up the painting, 4) buy ice on the way -- my contribution to tonight's (Friday, July 13) reception, 6) sign the painting -- which then involved three hours of painting time because I saw ways to improve it, 7) photograph the painting, 8) resize both images to match the site's requirements, 9) upload them to the jurying site and 10) apply to the show. It's done but that's a lot of tail chasing for one day.

So, "Rapunzel" shown above was one of my entries. "Rapunzel"'s real name is Charmin ... and I'd painted this alla prima when she sat for my portrait class last term. I thought -- that all the painting needed was a signature, but it did need more paint in many areas ... and I wanted to really pump up the contrast to make her hair and skin in the light glow. The painting makes me happy. That's got to be a good thing.

Jack White would not agree with my entering juried shows -- something I've done a lot of over the years. His point about not entering is that there are other things that artists can do that benefit them in a lasting way that helps them find collectors rather than kudos. If instead of applying to a show, an artist reached out to a gallery, they could build a long-term relationship of continuing sales. He definitely has a point. Very few juried exhibits generate sales, even though there is some phenomenal work on view. For me, the benefits have been the chance to get to know outstanding artists throughout the country, receive recognition, and talk to leaders in the arts press and organizations. All of those benefits occur though, only if I take the time to attend events and push myself to make the most of every opportunity.

"Water, Water, Everywhere" Reception/Art Salon Tonight
In just a bit, I'm off to the reception for "Water, Water, Everywhere" -- the July/August exhibit for the Artists' Atelier at 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Artists from the area are invited to bring one of their pieces in to discuss. Our easels are set up and waiting for your work. I hope you can join us, Friday, July 13, 7-9pm for an informal salon and some treats.

Exhibits and Events
July 7- August 31, Artists' Atelier, "Water, Water, Everywhere" group exhibit, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Reception and Art Salon, Friday, July 13, 7-9pm.  
Open Saturdays, noon - 4pm.

August, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA, Studio #333

 August 1-10, "Quiet" in Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Exhibition held at Denise Bibro Fine Art, Chelsea, NYC.

Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066

Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project

Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: