Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Brown Portrait: Day Two, First Painting Day

"Lou and Carolyn Brown" portrait in progress in the living room
Today was the day the palette came out -- loaded up with piles of fresh oil paint.

Yesterday I drew a rough sketch for compositional purposes and last night we enlarged and printed copies of it at actual size to match the two different canvases that were stretched and ready to go. Carolyn and Lou picked the size and composition ... and that let me get started.

The first painting day is my "no worry" day for the week. Because oil paints dry slowly, all the other painting days will need to be planned a bit. There will be areas I can't touch for a few days. At the same time, I have to get some paint throughout the canvas ... so it can dry and have a second coat applied in four or five days. Hmmm. I was working on the sunflowers and background after they left to make the most of their time with me.

I've enjoyed talking with Carolyn about her quilting, her passion and piecing some of their history together. Eating lunch together, it was interesting to see how they looked close up vs. across the room with my not perfect vision. I love spending non-painting time with the people I'm painting. Somehow those two perspectives combine to give a clearer sense of the individuals. Close up, I realize what I need to capture.

Tomorrow morning will be painting session two.

I thought about fixing tomorrow's lunch, but reconsidered. Time to rest up for another big day for all three of us.

New Web Site
Three drawings were added today to the Drawing Collection on my Works page. Go to www.JillBanks.com. Sign up for Fall classes, now listed. Please join my email newsletter list. Thank you!

Exhibits and Events (Now look at this on the Events page at www.JillBanks.com)
July 7- August 31, Artists' Atelier, "Water, Water, Everywhere" group exhibit, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA.  Open Saturdays, noon - 4pm.

August, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA, Studio #333

 August 1-10, "Quiet" in Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Exhibition held at Denise Bibro Fine Art, Chelsea, NYC.

Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066

Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100):
www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email





No comments: