Saturday, July 21, 2012

"The Brogue Bar" and a Birthday Celebration

"The Brogue Bar," oil, 18"h x 24"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
Secret project #1 revealed. I started "The Brogue Bar" back in May, setting up my easel in the pub part of the Old Brogue in Great Falls, VA. The Brogue has served as the backdrop of many of my paintings, each of them has been set in the Katie's Coffee/Snuggery side. My plan was to paint the bar itself and the people who populated it when I was ready (had gotten to that part of the painting).

Jed on left, and David, on right in front of the painting
The day following my first session there, I was contacted by Marjorie Fox who had been told by friends that her husband (David Fox) was featured in my painting. She wanted to purchase it as his 70th birthday gift -- a gift that was delivered tonight at his "surprise" 70 party.

David is in the hat to the far right, talking to his best friend, Jed, who is leaning against the post in the white shirt. Thing is, Jed wasn't at the Brogue the first day I painted there. And, David was originally sitting to the left of the post. Since it was a surprise gift, I couldn't exactly ask them to cooperate with my original painting start. By the end, I painted David three times ... but as they say, the third time's the charm. It definitely was in this case.

Because I painted this as people appeared in the scene, it didn't allow me to see the painting as a whole composition. All three of my original subjects to the left of the pole were facing to the right -- which was definitely not good. My husband, Randy, helped me correct the problem by sitting in the seat second to the right, and facing to the left.

Marjorie graciously invited Randy and me to attend tonight's celebration of David's 70th, a private party at the Brogue (Katie's Coffee/Snuggery side this time) ... with "The Brogue Bar" hanging over the mantel  -- the prime spot -- for the occasion. She considers meeting me -- and my having been in the bar painting her husband -- serendipitous. Serendipity works both ways.

It was fun to be there at the party and witness the guests' reactions. That's a real understatement. People loved it. They loved the way it captured the atmosphere of a spot so familiar. That felt great.

And, this is one of those days, I can't write about all the wonderful parts. There were way too many.

New Web Site
One drawing was added today to the Drawing Collection on my Works page. ("Buckingham Palace Fountain" -- one of my favorites from last year's London trip. Go to www.JillBanks.com. Sign up for Fall classes, now listed. Please join my email newsletter list. Thanks to those of you who already signed up! (Oh, and subscribe to this blog for more frequent updates.)



Exhibits and Events (Now look at this on the Events page at www.JillBanks.com)
July 7- August 31, Artists' Atelier, "Water, Water, Everywhere" group exhibit, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA.  Open Saturdays, noon - 4pm.

August, Visiting Resident Studio Artist, Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA, Studio #333. See regular hours/days, reception, demo dates on the events page on my web site.

 August 1-10, "Quiet" in Salmagundi Club's Annual Photography and Graphics Exhibition held at Denise Bibro Fine Art, Chelsea, NYC.

Sunday, October 14, MPA Artfest Outdoor Juried Arts Festival, McLean Central Park, McLean, VA

Saturday and Sunday, October 20&21, Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, 10am-5pm, visit artists in their studios throughout Great Falls on a self-guided tour. I’ll be at the Artists’ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA 22066

Web: www.jillbanks.com
 Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project

Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: