Sunday, June 6, 2010

"Rope of Garlic" Painting: Good Day Today

Whenever I run into "trying" days painting, I figure out a way to shake the bad painting demons loose. Returning to my "Rope of Garlic" painting was the cure I was looking for. It is just ridiculously fun to paint. No angst. Just happy. It's in the 99 to 100% done category, I believe. In any case I'll let it rest for a few days.

This painting is of a scene at the Campo dei Fiori market in Rome, Italy. I became fascinated with the equipment and inner workings of the market there. Loved the scales. Check out an earlier post for this painting as a work in progress.

With so few days left in this house, I hope to get around to finishing some of my interiors and perhaps getting through a few more new ones. We'll see. Could be just wishful thinking. Maybe I'll be up to going back to my dining room painting tonight.

I've re-expanded my palette of colors since taking the Sherrie McGraw workshop. Color restraint was okay for awhile ... but I really relish some favorites and love the possibilities that some of those tubes of Winsor & Newton (and Gamblin) paints hold. Life wasn't the same without them. Back on the palette are Permanent Rose and Perylene Red, Cobalt Turquoise Light, Cerulean Blue and Pthalo Green ... to name a subset of the add-back-ins.

A full palette of colors was first adopted in Danni Dawson's class ... then expanded at Studio Incamminati (the school founded by Nelson Shanks, Danni's teacher). The following years have seen little modification. I think that's a positive. It's allowed me to get to "know" my colors.

My regular palette, in order is:
Burnt Sienna
Permanent Alizarin Crimson
Permanent Rose
Perylene Red
Cadmium Red
Cadmium Scarlet (sometimes)
Cadmium Orange or Cadmium Yellow Deep
Raw Sienna
Indian Yellow
Cadmium Yellow (Medium)
Cadmium Yellow Pale (or Light)
Cadmium Lemon (or Winsor Lemon) sometimes
Cadmium Green Pale
Permanent Green Light
Sap Green (sometimes)
Viridian
Pthalo Green (Gamblin)
Cobalt Turquoise Light
Cerulean Blue
French Ultramarine Blue
Pthalo Blue (sometimes)
Titanium White

"Rope of Garlic", oil on Raymar panel, 16"h x 20"w, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: