Thursday, June 17, 2010

"Five Umbrellas" Finished?

I worked on this one ... "Five Umbrellas" of a NYC Chelsea street scene, yesterday and today. I'm working toward getting all pieces ready to hang July 1 in my "Painting the Town" solo show at the Old Brogue Irish Pub in Great Falls, VA.

It takes me awhile to know if I'm really done. I approached this painting with the constant question ... if I do "x" will it improve the painting or not? That's not exactly the recipe for speed.

I concentrated on what appealed to me about the scene and eliminated details to build a stronger piece. Did it really matter if one brick was a different color than another? To me it was about the rhythm of the light and shadows ... figures and umbrellas. I put detail in ... only to take it out. It's probably a lot easier to avoid putting it in in the first place.

I even thought more than usual about brushstroke direction to pull your eye around the painting.

Thinking and painting.

You can view earlier versions of this painting on my post: More Work on Rainy NYC Scene, and this painting's start: "Five Umbrellas" New NYC Street Scene Today.

I said I'd write about what's in store for the painters for my "Painting (or Sketching) the Town" one-day workshops. I will. Just not today. I'm pooped. In the meantime, check out the Classes page on my web site: www.jillbanks.com.

"Five Umbrellas", oil on Senso linen, 18"h x 24"w, copyright Jill Banks 2010. See more of my restaurant and street scenes in the Places Gallery on my site.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: