Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Drawing Around Town

This is really an invitation. I want you to sign up for my single-day workshops "Painting (or Sketching) the Town". More about those in a minute.

Yesterday, I had a small stretch of time to create. Randy had errands to run in Reston (VA) before we walked through our new residence-to-be (coming July 15) to take a closer look. I had him drop me off at Lake Anne (where three of my paintings are hanging including my Best in Show winner "On High") to sketch. I figured that fresh off of that win (at the reception the day before), I'd be inspired by the spot. I was. There's a peacefulness that falls on those benches, looking out over the lake and fountain. There's a peacefulness in drawing. It didn't matter that this time was squeezed in between decisions, errands, activities. Actually, maybe it did. Maybe I felt that much luckier to have found this time.

I've found a lot of those moments in a wonderfully busy life. Instead of running throughout a trip (or throughout my day), I've carved out some time to relish the experience, look carefully at my surroundings, and draw.

Like drawing the carousel in Central Park last month.

Or sitting down amid the crowds and drawing the "View from the Pantheon Steps" in Rome this April.

Or a view of the "Lake Anne Pharmacy" drawn a couple of months ago ... probably from the same bench in Lake Anne, but facing another way.

Back to my single-day workshops "Painting (or Sketching) the Town". They are offered through the Great Falls School of Art and you can sign up for any number or days that fit your schedule. You can draw or paint. I'll probably pick a different "town" or spot to draw or paint each day, with possibilities including Herndon, Reston, Great Falls, Vienna, DC or Alexandria. I'll post the site on my web site and blog ... and you're welcome to give me suggestions for a favorite place. In case of rain (or extreme heat), I'll find a spot indoors (like a museum or restaurant or large space) and we'll draw instead of paint.

If you're new to drawing, that's okay. I'll give pointers on how to draw and handle your materials, and give some basics. (Don't come into this thinking that you're going to learn how to draw in a day. That's not realistic.) This workshop will help you get started ... seeing opportunities ... and enjoying the experience.

More experienced artists in drawing will learn more about keeping a sketchbook, materials, choosing subjects.

Painters, I'm going to address what this workshop holds for you in tomorrow's post. Or you can read about it on my Classes page on my web site.

Please register by Wednesday, June 30. Note new dates for Session D&E.
A: Saturday, July 17, 10:00am – 5:00pm, lunch 12:00-1:00pm, $95
B: Sunday, July 18, 10:00am – 5:00pm, lunch 12:00-1:00pm, $95
C: Monday July 19, 10:00am -- 5:00pm, lunch 12:00-1:00pm, $95
D:  Sunday, August 15, 10:00am --  4:30pm, lunch 12:00-12:30, $95 plus model’s fees
E: Monday, August 16, 10:00am --  4:30pm, lunch 12:00-12:30, $95 plus model’s fees

Fee for 4 days: $350 + model’s fees (paid directly to instructor). Fee for all 5 days (three sessions): $425 + model’s fees. Please specify which sessions you plan to attend. Minimum class size for sessions 3&4 is six.

More info on my Classes/Workshops
Registration Form


Please email me with any questions. You're in for a great experience.

By the way, my drawings are for sale, too. I may include some of these in my upcoming solo show "Painting the Town" in July at the Old Brogue Irish Pub in Great Falls, VA. See more drawings on the gallery pages of my web site or take a look at the preview page for my solo show.

Top to bottom: "Lake Anne Fountain", (Lake Anne, Reston, VA) sketch&wash pencils, graphite wash and ink; "Central Park Carousel", (Central Park, NYC) ink wash and ink, pencil; "View from Pantheon Steps", (Sitting on the steps, Rome, Italy), sketch&wash pencils, graphite wash and ink; "Lake Anne Pharmacy", (Lake Anne, Reston, VA), sketch&wash pencils, graphite wash and ink. All four copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435


No comments: