Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Shows, Shows, Shows

What a mess. My dining room's lined with paintings. I can hear Randy hammering ... framing in the kitchen. We hang my "Painting the Town" show at the Old Brogue Irish Pub (1144 Walker Road, Great Falls, VA 22066) tomorrow. I probably have about one-and-a-half to twice what I need for the space. I guess that will make what hangs the cream of the crop.

Tomorrow, some of my fellow Atelier artists will be hanging the "Summer Landscapes" show in the gallery at the Artists' Atelier, the studio I share with, well, "I'm losing count" other artists. I'm submitting "Benched" and "Backyard Fountain", shown here. Come to the opening reception this Friday, July 2, 7-9pm at 1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA.

I picked "Benched" -- a piece I did in a plein air workshop in Easton two summers ago -- because it shows a turning point in my work ... in saturation and the exuberance of light. It reflects what I see with my "mess" of paintings around me for my "Painting the Town" show.

"Backyard Fountain" is in because I'm moving. And slightly sentimental about it. It's recent. I was testing out my EasyL easel in anticipation of the workshops I'm teaching in July and August. Practical and funny reasons. (See my web site for information about workshops: www.jillbanks.com, click on classes.

As soon as my "Painting the Town" mess moves out ... tomorrow ... my Farmer's Market (this Saturday, 9am-1pm in Great Falls -- near the intersection of Walker Road and Georgetown Pike) mess moves in.

Hmmm.

"Benched", 11"h x 14"w, oil on linen, copyright Jill Banks 2008.
"Backyard Fountain", 8"h x 10"w, oil on Raymar panel, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: