Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Upper 60s and More Fun on the Farm

"Peacock Sketch," 12"h x 16"w, oil, ©Jill Banks 2012
February 1 and the temps were 66 or 67℉ in Virginia. Time to head back to the farm (Kidwell Farm, Herndon, VA -- part of Frying Pan Park) for LOTS of fun painting.

Kidwell Farm, on all the sunny days I've visited, is filled with tots and parents and some neighbors out for a stroll. It's a place where you can't help but enjoy yourself. Each time I go, before unloading my easel and considerable gear, I walk around to see what wants to be painted. Today, some ancient horses were out of the barn -- muddy and long-haired. I thought about painting them.

The roosters and hens were hooting and hollering. More contenders.

A big pig was out but I thought I might faint if I set up too close there.

"Kidwell Farm Sketch," oil, 11"h x 14"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
My first set-up was to return to painting a peacock. I started this sketch about a month ago ... but found Mr. Peacock particularly difficult to paint. He spends a lot of time cleaning his considerable feathers. Most of today he was turned the opposite direction of the way he appeared on my painting. I was trying to pretend I was a mirror. Interesting computations going on. This is still a sketch. I may start a studio painting based on this -- for color -- and some photo references. Maybe.

I painted the milk cow. You may see her later.

And, I painted the path back to the parking lot. From the same spot where I was attempting the milk cow.

Tomorrow, we're hanging a new exhibit at the Artists' Atelier (1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA), "Wet Paint." So, I spent the day -- today -- appropriately.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

2 comments:

Debby Bird said...

I was at Kidwell with my daughter today also, Wish I had been ther while you were, would have enjoyed watching you paint.

Jill Banks said...

We picked a great day, didn't we? I had LOTS of excited kids around to keep me company. I wish I timed it better and saw you there, too!