Thursday, February 23, 2012

Painting the Potomac in Old Town Alexandria Today

"Down By the River," (Potomac, Founders' Park, Old Town Alexandria), oil on panel, 16"h x 20"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
Plein air painting today ... in beautiful weather, late February.

I received an email notice from Jean Schwartz inviting her fellow Art League Plein Air Painters to come out and enjoy the weather painting together. It was a joint spirit thing, since the two of us set up in quite different spots this time around. My view here is at the start of Founders' Park, around behind Charthouse Restaurant where I temporarily found some shade.

On Location
It's not easy to choose the spot to paint. There are so many views I'd love to capture, but I'm tied a bit to finding a shady spot, near a restroom of sort, etc. Even with those requirements, there are so many beautiful, paintable scenes all around. While I was there, couples came to picnic. Dogs came to play. Onlookers came and went. People seemed to enjoy/be amused/wonder about me -- the lady in the painter's smock and hat.

This painting is an achievement. Plein air painting is wonderful ... but a bear. Stuff lands in your paint. Sun and shadows move. Colors change in front of your eyes. It's physically taxing. (I'm tired.) In "Down By the River," I formed a game plan, adapted, tackled challenges, and came out with a good painting. Time to call it a day. But, what a beautiful day.

On Exhibit:

"Drama Queens" and "Classical Painting Atelier" are on view at the Artists' Atelier "Wet Paint!" February Exhibit, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open Hours: Saturdays, noon-4pm or whenever an artist is in ... or by appointment. Contact info below.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

4 comments:

Christine said...

Love it! And I am so jealous that I am going to paint now. :0)

Jill Banks said...

Well that was my plot the whole time. I hope you had a good painting evening!

Sarah said...

This is very nice Mom :) This painting is very serene and relaxing.

Jill Banks said...

Thanks, Sarah!
Love,
Mom