Saturday, February 4, 2012

"Spanish Steps" Painting In Progress

"Spanish Steps" work in progress, oil, 20"h x 16"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
There were a lot of "highlight" days in Rome ... lots of favorites ... but one of them was when Randy and I made the trek to the Spanish Steps. Perhaps I should watch more movies because the trip there and the sight was brand new to me. There should have been a musical score as we walked down the avenue lined with shops catering to a group of people I've never encountered. We went into a gallery with astounding art, a fantastic figure painter. It seemed as if everyone was heading in one direction. Toward the Spanish Steps. A one-way street for pedestrians?

Once there, it was teeming with people. We walked to the top and went in a humble church to see one more Caravaggio. That's part of what I love about Italy. Works of art are everywhere. They envelop you ... no matter who you are.

I'm working here ... about a year and a half later from a photograph and a memory. I remember the glow and my joy at being there. Another reason why I love Italy is that people gather there. Public spaces overflow with life. The more the merrier.

I've been in Armand Cabrera's three-day workshop today and yesterday. Tomorrow's day three. I'm enjoying not being the teacher (although I like that, too). I've taken very few workshops in the last few years ... just because eventually you have a good base of knowledge and what you do need to learn can be gleaned in different ways. Today, Armand gave his second demo and it was great to see a beautiful landscape painting develop. In working plein air, this new adventure I embarked on this past year, I find I proceed in too rushed a manner. The paint gets crazy and I lose control over the cleanliness of my colors, edges, etc. Here we are in a studio/classroom setting with photos that aren't changing every second or two ... and it's less fun but a good base to build on for future outdoor endeavors.

You'll see more tomorrow.


On Exhibit:
"Dining Alfresco" Juried into the Art League January Show
On view at the Art League Gallery in the Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA through February 6. Take a look!

"Drama Queens" and "Classical Painting Atelier" are on view at the Artists' Atelier "Wet Paint!" February Exhibit, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA. Open Hours: Saturdays, noon-4pm or whenever an artist is in ... or by appointment. Contact info below.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

No comments: