Sunday, January 22, 2012

"Classical Painting Atelier" Still Life: Just About Done

Blurry photo ... but you get the idea. "Classical Painting Atelier," 24"h x 18"w, oil
Sorry for the blurry photo. I took it under pretty low light ... and I moved.

There is just one little part I need to fix on this ... that I couldn't do with the paint wet ... and then this is done. There are some "ghosts" of two leaves I moved that need to be sanded a bit and then painted over to meld with the background.

I love how this one has evolved. "Classical Painting Atelier" has presented plenty of challenges (like the book cover portrait, the feather, some very unusual forms with the gourds) ... but it tells the story of the classroom. The red feather in the foreground is from boa I had as a prop for my portrait class demo the day before. They were sprinkled all over the room. "Classical Painting Atelier" is the title of the book by Juliette Aristedes, one of the many resources in the classroom. Juliette Aristedes would have no doubt approved the still life set-up and exercise in learning. I chose this still life inspired by the Great Falls School of Art Student Exhibition that is hanging in the Artists' Atelier gallery upstairs from the school this month. Students of all ages are getting a great foundation in drawing, lights and darks, the academics of art. This painting is a nod to what's going on here.

Lesson One of the Week: I also added many more reds to my palette today to get the intensity and variations shown in the red silk fabric. My usual palette includes in the red family: Permanent Alizarin Crimson, Quinacridone Red, Cadmium Red Light and Venetian Red. Today I added: Perylene Red, Cadmium Scarlet, and Cadmium Orange. The reason for the addition is that reds are tough to lighten ... it's hard to change their value without dulling their intensity. Add white to a red and it turns it pink. But, add white to Cadmium Orange and you get a light color that's pretty intense. Put something like perylene red or cadmium scarlet on top of that and you have a light, bright red. Like the color of the cloth in the light.

Lesson Two of the Week: I don't like eating brussel sprouts. But, they are fun to paint.

Tonight I put up the easels, tables and Randy and I worked on a boom light for tomorrow's portrait class.  It should be an interesting day ... and I'll probably mention something about being worn out tomorrow night. Going back to school after the break is rough (and exciting) for teacher and student.

"Cars and Coffee," oil on Raymar panel, 16"h x 20"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
"Cars and Coffee" Painting of the Old Brogue
This painting was done over two plein air painting sessions up on the hill looking down at the Old Brogue Irish Pub, the Great Falls VA gathering place Randy and I happened to eat at tonight. It had been off the market for a little bit ... (I do that for various reasons) ... but it is available for purchase. Contact me if you are interested.

On Exhibit:


"Dining Alfresco" Juried into the Art League January Show
On view at the Art League Gallery in the Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA for the month of January. Take a look!

"Ostrich and Polka Dots," "Ramsey" and "Half Dozen Donuts" are on view in Great Falls Studios' January Virtual (online) Gallery Exhibit "Patterns"

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

No comments: