Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"Classical Painting Atelier" Still Life in Progress

"Classical Painting Atelier" wip, oil, 24"h x 18"w, ©Jill Banks 2012
The name might change ... and there's more work to do ... but this started as today's demo for the first day of Still Life class. I definitely didn't get this far with an audience. It's a case of biting off more than you can chew. Or something like that. Too large. Too many elements. Too much fun and other stuff to cover to get it in respectable shape during class.

When my students realized that there wasn't any way they were going to see it come together, they asked me to finish (or more fully develop) one part. I chose concentrating on the book in the scene, "Classical Painting Atelier" by Juliette Aristedes. As they watched me paint the portrait on the book cover, I wasn't hearing overwhelming praise. I won't repeat any of the comments.

I think it's just fine ... and I like the introduction of a dark and portrait elements with the book. If I developed it more it would jump forward in the scene. Not what I'd want.

In addition to liking it as an object, the book tells a story about the painting. It's pulled from the classroom library. It places all those gourds and brussel sprouts at the scene.

That's enough for this post. It's been a long day.

Oscar Haynes as my Face #13 for my 100 Faces in 100 Days Project
Tomorrow is Oscar Haynes birthday. Happy Birthday, Oscar!

On Exhibit:

"Dining Alfresco" Juried into the Art League January Show
On view at the Art League Gallery in the Torpedo Factory, 105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA for the month of January. Take a look!

"Ostrich and Polka Dots," "Ramsey" and "Half Dozen Donuts" are on view in Great Falls Studios' January Virtual (online) Gallery Exhibit "Patterns"

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

1 comment:

christine said...

I loved the class today. I learned a lot and laughed even more. You got quite a bit more done after we left. It looks great. I can't wait to see it at class next week.