Monday, June 20, 2011

"Sunlight, Sunflowers and Orange" Painting Fresh Off the Easel

"Sunlight, Sunflowers and Orange," oil on Raymar panel, 24"h x 18"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
Yesterday ... while we were fete-ing the dads in the family ... I asked for some advice about which painting I should choose  for my image promoting the Great Falls Annual Studio Tour (October 15&16). My advisors chose this painting ... which definitely needed work before being ready to photograph and send off. (The deadline is today.)

It's pretty funny that I had to rush to finish a painting ... considering I have so many existing paintings I could have chosen from. I wanted to pick something new ... and many of my latest works (post my 100 Faces in 100 Days project) have been entered into juried shows or competitions ... or purchased ... or won't be in my studio during Studio Tour.

I'm anxious to hear what you think of it. This was a new challenge (at least, I think it was) with the sunlight streaming through the window silhouetting the flowers. It certainly made for bold, large shapes. (Something I like.)

The Benefit of Dirty Brushes and Watching Mary Beth
Amidst a brush crisis last week, I took a trip to Plaza Artist's Supply store to get some I could actually paint with. I decided to get some that I was familiar with and try some other brands and types as well. I usually use Silver Brush Grand Prix Extra Long Filbert bristle brushes in a variety of sizes ... and then have a few smaller sable rounds. Bristle brushes are good for moving paint around but on smooth painting surfaces they produce a scratchy effect ... especially when the painter using them is not taking great care of them. (On a medium to rough texture surface, they work great.)

I recently heard or read that a softer brush works better on a smooth surface. I can't believe I never thought of that!!!! So I got some nylon, synthetic sable (or mongoose) brushes, too. And, thanks to watching Mary Beth Gaiarin paint the week before, I added in some flats which produce a whole different and exciting stroke. I threw in some rounds, too.

"Yellow Tractor"
This has really been an a-ha moment. Brushes matter. Each one is a tool to be fitted to the "job."

"Yellow Tractor" Will Be Moving
She (or he?) is getting a new home. I'm noticing a yellow trend lately. You should see my palette. And hands!

And, I know I said I'd show you my menagerie of animals in paint yesterday ... but I didn't. Not today either. Sometime soon, though. Stay tuned.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: