Thursday, June 9, 2011

"Lots of Peppers" Finished and "Cut Sunflowers" Is Getting a New Home

It's been a busy day without a whole lot of painting. Consider this my managing myself day. I was photographing my 100 Faces for an upcoming article (which I'll soon be taking a look at to see what I have to fix/work on tomorrow), helped a fellow artist with her marketing package, took a good look at the wonderful Great Falls Studios show "Birds in Great Falls" now on exhibit at the Great Falls Library, and finished up with "Lots of Peppers" so I could photograph it and apply to the Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club's 115th Annual Exhibition (due tomorrow postmark date). Oh, and I just put all my recent drawings from London and Reston in protective plastic sleeves and paired some up with mats ... to keep them safe. I'm getting smarter about that. Still, my house is a mess and Randy's best friend is here for the Member/Guest golf tournament. How does that happen? I do get closer and closer to really needing a regular assistant/helper. There's just lots to do.

"Lots of Peppers"
"Lots of Peppers," oil on linen, 24"h x 36"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
So I decided that "Lots of Peppers" is my entry to the Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club's 115th Annual. This is my first time applying as a full (juried) member -- and with that honor, every other year, full members do not have to have their work juried in. So, I won't be making an announcement that "Lots of Peppers" was accepted into the show ... because I have been instead. Funny feeling.

In finishing this painting, I changed the "writing" from "Asst. Peppers" to "Assorted Peppers." That's really what I meant in the first place, just was trying to abbreviate it. Wrong idea.

I'm more careful and deliberate in finishing each painting. I'm patient. I'm completely happy with this one. I can't wait to see it framed. You'll be able to see it ... mainly in my studio at the Artists' Atelier/sometimes at my house ... until I need to send it out in late September. It will not be in my studio during Studio Tour ... at least not this year.

The Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club's (CLWAC) 115th Annual Open Juried Exhibition will be held October 4-28, 2-11 at the the National Arts Club, 15 Gramercy Park South, New York, NY 10003. Catharine Lorillard Wolfe was one of the founding board of directors for the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the only woman in the group. CLWAC is a club for women artists and they put on the most beautiful receptions and awards ceremonies of all. They know how to celebrate! One of my proudest moments was winning the Casey Memorial Award for a Human Family Theme from CWLAC in 2008 for "Tea with Anne." The National Arts Club is a great setting as well. I figure "Lots of Peppers" will look pretty great there.

"Cut Sunflowers" Heading for a New Home
Well, that was quick. I know its new owner will be smiling at this one forever. I'd be happy to greet it every day myself.

"Birds in Great Falls" Exhibit
Visiting the Great Falls Studios exhibit (where my painting "Blue" won Best of Show) reminded me of how far we've come ... the artists in this dynamic group. Great Falls Studios just passed the 100th member mark ... incredible! And, we've learned from each other ... challenged each other ... and there's some really great art in Great Falls, Virginia. I'm not usually that fond of themes for exhibits because I don't believe in changing gears or directions for a particular show. I made an exception for this one ... as did many other Great Falls Studios artists ... and we made something special. It highlights our different media, different points of views. Go see it. At the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA 22066. Through June 30. My photos from today ... really aren't so great ... so that leaves seeing it up to you.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: