Wednesday, June 1, 2011

"Blue" Wins Best in Show

"Blue" wins Best in Show at Great Falls Studios Exhibit
"Blue" was awarded a Best in Show in Great Falls Studios "Birds of Great Falls" June Exhibit at the Great Falls Library. The juror was Joanne Bauer, Exhibitions Director, Greater Reston Arts Center (GRACE). Joanne is also an active birder and leads bird walks in Reston. She monitors bluebirds in Reston for the Reston Association. 


When I took my entries in this afternoon, the library was filled with birds in a wide range of media. They were terrific. Seems the artists in Great Falls wholeheartedly embraced all things birds. Stop by and see the show at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA 22066. 


Other awards included:
Best of Eastern Bluebird (GF Town Bird): "Bluebirds" by Bill Garrett
Best Pileated Woodpecker: "Pileated Woodpeckers" by Walt Lawrence--Honorable Mention
Best Red-Shouldered Hawk: "Red-Shouldered Hawk" by Ben Cheshire--Honorable Mention
Best Great Blue Heron: "Heron" by Laura Nichols--Honorable Mention
Best American Goldfinch: "American Goldfinch" by Dean Souleles--Honorable Mention
Best Ruby-Throated Hummingbird: "Hummingbird with Passion Flowers" by Brenda Drake--Honorable Mention
Best Wild Turkey: "Turkey Gone Wild" by Jill Banks (me)--Honorable Mention
Special Award for Originality: "Bird Food" by Jan Bender--Honorable Mention

"Blue" was also included in an article last week in the Great Falls Connection ... in news about the election of the town bird.


I was painting today on "Pick-a-Peck Peppers," but my camera was in Randy's car. Alas, no photos today.  But, I bet I finish it tomorrow and I can't wait to hear what you think. I loved painting it ... and love ... it. So, come back tomorrow night and check it out. I'm excited to have a new market painting. 

Randy asked me tonight what I would paint from London. My answer ... to him ... was the markets. Harrod's and Portabello Road and more. Maybe some interiors from the beautiful Chesterfield Mayfair hotel or other stops. These are the visions in my head.


Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project: www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: