Monday, October 31, 2011

Some More Work on "Osage-Oranges and Purple"

"Osage-Oranges and Purple" work in progress, oil, 24"h x 18"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
This still life setup looked as tired as its painter. I haven't figured out how I can finish it. Do I find new flowers that resemble these? I went hunting for large red leaves to replace their shriveled cousins. I found red leaves ... but not like these. I love the color combination here and want to work at bringing it to life with a backlight on the petals from the window... something I had worked on with "Sunlight, Sunflowers and Orange."

My portrait class was terrific today. It always is, but today we had a one day pose and I asked everyone to concentrate just on the portrait. I was noticing that by doing warm-ups each day encompassing the whole figure, when it came time to address the long pose, they kept painting whole or almost whole figures with little tiny faces. So, today -- no warm-ups. With only one day to work on it, they made a lot more progress than they might have if they thought they had more time. Maybe I should keep the number of sessions available a secret.

"Sunlight, Sunflowers and Orange" is currently on exhibit in the Artists' Atelier Gallery
Exhibits & Events
Expressions Portrait Exhibit at ArtSpace Herndon, November 1 through 27. Reception and awards, November 5, 7pm. "Tranquility" was chosen as one of the finalists. 750 Center Street, Herndon, VA.

The Art League's October All-Media Membership Exhibit,  105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA. My charcoal drawing of "Oscar" was juried in and will be on view through November 7. "Cubanelle and Roses" is in the Bin Gallery.

American Artists Professional League 83rd Grand National,Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue, NYC, Nov. 1-11. "Alan" was juried into the show.

To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

No comments: