Thursday, October 27, 2011

Buried In Stuff I Don't Know How to Do...And Some I Do

The last two days have been mainly non-painting days taking care of lots on my "to do" list. My taking time out to write this blog is due to being completely stumped as to how to check off one of those items that requires a knowledge of Photoshop Elements that I just don't possess. I may need to throw in that particular towel.

I did manage to make some decisions and apply to one major show. (That's good.)

I put together a package for a client giving a commissioned painting-to-be to a friend. For that, I handmade a mini portfolio of works similar in scope to the gift. It's a pretty present to give that offers the recipient a glimpse of what's to come. Putting that together caused me to learn a bit more about Word ... so I could put in a background for the portfolio pages that would actually print. And, I earned some practice with a special tape dispenser for use in mounting photos. I'm sure all of these newly acquired skills bode well for my future as an artist.

"Lots of Peppers" will come home with me this weekend from the National Arts Club, NYC
Tomorrow night I'm attending the awards reception for the Catharine Lorillard Wolfe Art Club at the National Arts Club in Gramercy Park, NYC. My "Lots of Peppers" is in the show ... and I missed the opening Benefit Reception on the Friday before Studio Tour. I'm looking forward to seeing the show, introduce myself as a newly juried full member of the group and applaud the award winners. On Saturday morning, I'm planning to join members of the Salmagundi Club for a paint out. I'm not a member, but artists are welcome to join them for the last scheduled paint out of the season. The weather's not looking promising but I guess that's what you get in late October. This time around I'll bring a scarf and extra layers. I'm looking forward to painting in NYC. Especially with this group. I may try my hand at some ink washes tomorrow ... to get extra time creating.  Hopefully I'll have something visual to post.

Unfortunately, by now, the Still Life I started on Tuesday is long gone and I'll have to replace those objects with something new to finish it next week. Or something like that.

ON EXHIBIT
National Arts Club, 15 Gramercy Park South, NYC, October 4-28
"Tranquility" is a finalist in the Expressions Portrait Exhibit
Expressions Portrait Exhibit at ArtSpace Herndon, November 1 through 27. Reception and awards, November 5, 7pm. "Tranquility" was chosen as one of the finalists. 750 Center Street, Herndon, VA.

The Art League's October All-Media Membership Exhibit,  105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA. My charcoal drawing of "Oscar" was juried in and will be on view through November 7. "Cubanelle and Roses" is in the Bin Gallery.

American Artists Professional League 83rd Grand National,Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue, NYC, Nov. 1-11. "Alan" was juried into the show.



To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

No comments: