Friday, October 7, 2011

Hanging the Show In the Gallery and More

That's my "Sunlight, Sunflowers and Orange" straight ahead. Come see.
This was a mish-mash day. Lots of different activities. Zero painting but I got ready to do some.

This morning, Randy and I stretched a canvas for a portrait commission I'll be starting, in earnest, tomorrow. It's a relief to put those first strokes down. To move ahead. I was hoping to get a few hours in on it today, but instead ... I'll work longer and make more "first day" progress tomorrow.

The whole afternoon was spent arranging and hanging a pretty spectacular exhibit in the Atelier gallery space. The walls ... and work ... are beautiful. We figure that anyone who needs a wall of artwork should just come in and buy a wall. I realize I need to take better whole wall photos. They really are pretty amazing.

The left gallery wall with "Merry Go Round"
Many of us at the Atelier have been together for a number of years. We've witnessed each others' growth. There's a lot of talent here -- in our founding and newer members.

Early evening, Randy hung the super high pieces in the gallery and the rest of my studio space area. Then we headed home.

"Tranquility" a Finalist in Herndon ArtSpace's  Portrait Expression Competition
I received word today that "Tranquility," a favorite painting and portrait, is a finalist in the Portrait Expression Competition. I love this painting ... and it's received many honors. I think they've been well deserved. I've hung this painting above the mantel in our master bedroom and it was amazing to just look up at her. I felt the richness of this painting. Like my bedroom had somehow moved into a favorite museum where I could wake up with a treasure that I could learn something new from each day.

I believe she's something special. Because of that, "Tranquility" has been my candidate for many different exhibits ... until somebody super smart decides to take her off "the circuit." ("Tranquility" was juried into two National/International Exhibits and won an Honorable Mention of Artistic Merit in Salon International 2011. The painting also appeared in Fine Art Connoisseur and American Art Collector Magazine in April 2011 as part of that exhibit.)

"Tranquility," 30"h x 24"w, oil, Jill Banks 2010
"Tranquility" will be on exhibit at Herndon ArtSpace November 1 though 27 as part of the 2011 Expressions Portrait Competition. Awards are chosen from the finalists once the exhibit is hung.

"Tranquility" is on view and available for purchase during Studio Tour but the painting will need to be exhibited in Herndon in November.


UPCOMING EVENTS
Great Falls Annual Studio Tour, Oct. 15&16, 10am-5pm
Artists‘ Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suite G, Great Falls, VA

Out & About Norfolk Plein Air Painting Event, October 20-22 

ON EXHIBIT
National Arts Club, 15 Gramercy Park South, NYC, October 4-28
"Cubanelle and Roses," oil, 10"h x 8"w, ©Jill Banks 2011

The Art League's October All-Media Membership Exhibit,  105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA. My charcoal drawing of "Oscar" was juried in and will be on view through November 7. "Cubanelle and Roses" is in the Bin Gallery.

Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue, NYC, Nov. 1-11
To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: