Monday, October 24, 2011

Looking Back on the Week

Accepting Award #2 from Out&About Norfolk's organizer, artist Karen Kinser
I'm posting a few more photos from the days in Norfolk at Out & About. Today I taught and worked on a portrait commission ... so I can't show you today's work. (But it went well.)

This will be an assortment.

An amazing still life from the Chrysler. This is huge ... and more complicated than even my dad has set up for me. I figure by posting this I could make my Still Life class nervous that I'll get some ideas. I think this guy can paint. According to the signage in the Chrysler Museum, Berne-Bellecour painted primarily military subjects and battle scenes. This is a rare still life for him, but he utilized his expertise in depicting military braid and armor on the gorgeous silver, glass and ceramics shown here.


"La Desserte" ("End of the Meal) by Etienne-Prosper Berne-Bellecour (French, 1838-1910), oil on canvas, 1876


Lynn Mehta's group of three at the show.
A couple of Art League Plein Air Painters were also participants at Out & About. I loved Lynn Mehta's work ... for which she garnered an in the French Tradition prize (for my favorite of hers with the star hanging below) and a red dot -- sold sticker for the one above it.

I loved a painting by Gray Dodson. She captured the silvery tones of water and showed the sun with an aqua glow around it. I really wish I had a photo to show you. It is a real stunner.

These days were truly an adventure. I remember walking into the room at the reception. My three paintings were the first in the show. Colored stars were hanging from two of them. I figured that was a good sign.


ON EXHIBIT
National Arts Club, 15 Gramercy Park South, NYC, October 4-28

The Art League's October All-Media Membership Exhibit,  105 N. Union St., Alexandria, VA. My charcoal drawing of "Oscar" was juried in and will be on view through November 7. "Cubanelle and Roses" is in the Bin Gallery.

American Artists Professional League 83rd Grand National,Salmagundi Club, 47 Fifth Avenue, NYC, Nov. 1-11

My grouping of three. I had the only elephant in the room.
To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

No comments: