Saturday, November 6, 2010

Open Life Painting "Dressed in Yellow"

I took advantage of a long pose, open life session at the McLean Community Center (McLean, VA) tonight ... and as usual, it was a real treat. I'm always torn between painting and drawing. I don't know who the model's going to be or the pose or the setup when standing at the back of my car trying to choose what supplies to pull from the trunk.

Obviously, today I chose paint. And then, when I walked into the studio room ... wow. Yea!

The photo's not great. For those of you who are regular readers, you know the drill. If the paint's sopping wet and I'm so anxious to show you that I take the photo at home at night ... bad photo. I'll try to replace it tomorrow sometime.

This is fairly small. Next to me was a man painting on this monster-sized canvas. There were about six of us there, all with totally different approaches. It's the best way I can think of to spend three hours.

I also think it's the best deal in town. $9 per session as a drop-in although I know they hope that people will sign up for all the sessions. I can't. Just too many other obligations on Saturdays. They also have open life sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays with short/gesture poses. Check it out under the learning tab at the McLean Project for the Arts web site: www.mpaart.org.

By the way, "Arance, Oranges" that's now on exhibit at the Art League's (Alexandria, VA) "Large Works" exhibit is getting lots of attention. This painting actually demands attention. It's hanging right behind the main reception desk and it literally looks like it's going to jump right off the wall. I'm serious. ("Arance, Oranges" is shown on the home page of my web site if you want to take a look.)

I've received beaucoup emails from people admiring it. A call for the image for the press. And ... it seems like it's being wished for by someone who had seen it this summer during my "Painting the Town" exhibit at the Old Brogue. Pretty cool.

"Dressed in Yellow", 12"h x 16"w, oil on Raymar panel, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: