Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"Hunks of Watermelon" Painting and "Boats in Burano"

Today was the last day of my Fall Still Life class. What a great group. Tuesday's will feel a little funny until January classes start.

Watermelon appeared. (Strange season, I know.) Part to be eaten. Part to be painted. The real watermelon setup looked perhaps neater than the cutting board version I decided to paint. This is one of those odd top-down views. It's a little tricky. I may come back to this tomorrow. A sign is that I bothered to put saran wrap over my models and left my palette at the studio. The knife, I know needs work.

Last night, I finished up "Boats in Burano." This one's little (8"h x 10"w) considering the scale of the scene. That's a lot to pack into a little bit of canvas.

By the way, this is a lot of red considering that my principal reddish-orange color on my palette, Cadmium Red Light made from Gamblin has been misbehaving lately. It's got to be coaxed into the right consistency with the addition of Gamblin's Neomegilp and the tube has sprung a few leaks. Just imagine your two hands the color of the top side of each hunk of watermelon. I didn't think it would ever come off. Yikes.

Tomorrow night's the reception at the Great Falls Studios Exhibit at Life with Cancer in Fairfax. See my contributions in an earlier post.

Tomorrow a.m., I drop off my donations for Art Night Out 2010 being held Friday, November 19th at the River Bend Country Club in Great Falls, VA. I'll fill you in on those donations soon.

"Hunks of Watermelon", 12"h x 4"w, oil on canvas, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

"Boats in Burano", 8"h x 10"w, oil on Senso linen, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: