Friday, November 5, 2010

Back to My "New York State of Mind" Painting

I took a break from this ... my most recent New York City street painting because I just wasn't sure what direction to take it. So I was thinking about it, even though I wasn't actively working on it. Today was a good day to take on the challenge. I'm continuing to think about it, but I'm making progress.

As an artist, I work to convey the mood, rhythm, moment for you to enjoy. We don't take in the world as a whole bunch of details. They don't matter ... or at least, I don't care about them. I want to draw you into this world I've created as one that concentrates on just the important parts that hold the painting and your interest as you take a closer look. But I've got to compel you to walk over to it.

What I knew I wanted to do was simplify the shapes -- something easier to decide to do, than to do. Isn't that always the case? I'm starting to address the right hand side of the painting. Finally. And, I'm evening out the patches of color. I've tried to make large batches of colors using my palette knife and putting the color up there using the palette knife. Then letting the paint set up a bit, and using my brush to smooth it out.

So, progress. Much more work to go.

See more of my street scenes on the gallery pages of my web site: www.JillBanks.com.

"New York State of Mind" work in progress, 40"h x 30"w, oil on Senso linen, copyright Jill Banks 2010. You can see this piece in development in earlier posts on this blog.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: