Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Scenes from My Studio Pre-MPA and Color Lessons

Tonight I'm in "deer-in-the-headlights" mode. I've honestly got a gadzillion things to do to prepare for MPA Artfest (coming up this Sunday, October 4, 10am-5pm at McLean Central Park, McLean, VA) and I don't know how to wrap my arms around this particular challenge ... or to move out of my chair at the moment.

One of my tasks, of very high priority, is to clean out my car so that it can be packed (carefully) with paintings, screens, bags and bubblewrap for all the paintings and drawings I'll be selling, etc. at this weekend's event. My car currently cannot accommodate one more thing. I drove home today from the Atelier with my multitude of still life objects, painting supplies, paper, frames, artwork, art books shifting with every turn. I have passenger seats ... just can't accept any passengers.

Let's say I get the chance to clean my car. What's left between me and MPA Artfest? 1. Signing, matting, picking out frames, framing drawings and paintings. 2. Picking up screens. 3. Designing my display, essentially figuring out what works to bring and where to hang them -- the very hardest and most important task of all. 4. Putting together and printing labels. 5. Bringing my portfolio up to date. (Photographing new work, printing) 6. Putting together signage. 7. Putting up the new exhibit in the gallery at the Artists' Atelier (to do tomorrow). 8. Rearranging my walls in Suite D and G at the Atelier in preparation for First Friday (this week). 9. Varnishing paintings. 10. Packaging up all the stuff I'll need and loading it into Randy's and my cars. 11. Figuring out what to wear?

The one thing that I can say is that I'm not exactly short on work to choose from. Even though I've also been working on commissions, I've noticed that if you really are creating all the time, you can cover an awful lot of linen canvas. These photos give you a little glimpse into the overflowing nature of my environs. This is the tip of the iceberg.

Oh, and color lessons. This morning I taught my "Oil Painting from Life" class (that I teach through the Great Falls Foundation for the Arts). One student had requested instruction on color mixing. This is something I do well, but I researched it to form the lesson. In the process, I learned so much and passed it on. Here are the email comments from two of my students:
"I've been taking painting classes for over 5 years now and that's the first time anyone has ever explained to me how to keep my colors bright... Today's lesson provided a real insight for our class.
Thank you!"
"Thanks for all your help today – especially with the critiques and all the perspective help. The printout on the colors is EXCELLENT.
Much appreciated"
Pretty wonderful feedback.

Wish me luck this week.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: