Thursday, September 17, 2009

Rooster Art: Cock-a-Doodle



I suppose this isn't quite a doodle ... those go a lot faster. But, here's my latest drawing, "Cock-a-Doodle". This drawing is of one of two ceramic roosters that reside in my kitchen. I guess it was about time it was captured, on paper.

In part, I created this drawing in preparation for my drawing class that started this past Monday. (For more information on classes, see my web site: www.jillbanks.com, click on classes.) For all my (massive) trepidation in teaching that class, it went very, very well. Every time I do something new -- like teaching drawing -- I fret, study, prepare, and finally go for it. I was talking to friend and fellow artist (and studiomate) Francie Vecchi today saying that I'm always jumping off cliffs and hoping for the best. This Monday's class turned out for the best. Again. I assume that the fact that each time I do something out of my element, the results are better than expected has something to do with my willingness to go out on a limb again and again.

My concerns about being able to teach this class are rooted in my not knowing how to "teach" drawing. When I teach painting, I'm teaching it based on a clear-cut understanding of how I learned painting myself. My painting instruction was recent and formalized. I could easily pass it on. But, with drawing, I've been drawing my entire life. While I've been trained in drawing (the focus was in learning to see more intensely and adapting to different mediums), I still needed to formulate a way to help students learn. Let's say I'm working on it and that I'll be studying my way through my nine-week class.

MPA Artfest (McLean Project for the Arts juried outdoor art festival) is a little more than two weeks away. I will be working on creating more drawings before that big day as well as organizing what I want to show, etc. The event is Sunday, October 4, 10am - 5pm in McLean Central Park (McLean, VA). Lots to do. Lots of fun. I hope to see you there.

I also posted "Rooster Ruminations", another piece of Rooster Art. It's not quite done ... note, no signature ... but almost. I made a new friend. A tube of yellow ochre, a color that's probably been on everyone else's palette, but not mine. It sure came in handy for the background. That is a Ty Beanie Baby.

"Cock-a-Doodle", 11.5"h x 8.5"w (inside mat), graphite, copyright Jill Banks 2009
"Rooster Ruminations" work in progress, 20"h x 16"w, oil on Senso linen, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

1 comment:

Elizabeth Seaver said...

"Cock-a-Doodle" is adorable!

Maybe having a less crystallized sense of how you learned the drawing process helps you stay flexible and creative with the various learning styles you encounter in your classes.

No matter what, teaching is hard work and takes a certain amount of courage! I'm so glad the class went well!