Tuesday, September 8, 2009

"Caffe Bar" and "Lemon Yellow" at the Art League



Two of my paintings, "Caffe Bar" and "Lemon Yellow" are on exhibit at the Art League in Alexandria (VA) for the month of September. It seems appropriate that "Caffe Bar" was juried in. It depicts a scene from last year's art historical trip to Venice that my husband and I took, led by Rob Liberace and arranged through the Art League. Randy and I dropped off my entries last night for the Art League's monthly show. This may be more than you want to know ... but each month as an Art League member you can submit two works, only one of which can be accepted. Receiving happens the first Monday night and Tuesday am of each month ... and it's a regular ritual for area artists. The Art League chooses a different juror each month (and in the DC area we have a wealth of capable jurors from the Smithsonian system, area art institutions, etc.) and that juror selects the pieces that will make up that month's show. Each month's juror also selects award winners. While "Caffe Bar" didn't win an award, I've won two Best of Shows and two Honorable Mentions in other exhibits there.

"Lemon Yellow" hangs in the bin gallery -- an area of the Art League gallery where artists who have been juried into three (of the Art League's) shows that past year can hang a small work. So I did.

Today was the first day of my painting class taught through the Great Falls Foundation for the Arts. I'll post some works in progress from my demo painting tomorrow. One of the most important lessons I try to teach is patience. Just as Rome wasn't built in a day, painting is clearly an acquired -- through hard work, time spent, canvases covered -- art. You can't rush it. You can work toward becoming a good, even great painter, one step at a time.

"Caffe Bar", oil on Senso linen, 20"h x 16"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009 and "Lemon Yellow", oil on Senso linen, 8"h x 10"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: