Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Portrait Delivery Before and After

Me with the portrait at "the drop"
I thought you'd enjoy a glimpse into the surreptitious activities of surprise portrait commission delivery. Last week, right before Christmas, I met my client (Sally) in the parking lot of the McLean Community Library (McLean, VA) to hand off the still wet portrait of her parents -- a surprise Christmas gift for them. Sally used the going-to-CVS excuse to get out of the house... alone. Anything more interesting would have brought along a guest or two, perhaps.

We both got a kick out of the activity. So much so, that she snapped a photo of me next to the delivery vehicle (my car). By the way, my car never looks like this. It's usually piled high with painting/drawing supplies, cardboard to separate paintings, still life objects, rotting fruit, lots of trash, etc. Son Sam and daughter-in-law Michelle's Christmas present to me was sifting their way through the piles until I can now actually see carpet and leather. And accept passengers.

Sally's parents loved the portrait ... And to that, I say, a major yea!!!

After realizing that I "had" the portrait, i.e., Sally and her parents would love it, I celebrated by painting the goat and starting the painting of my parents playing gin rummy.

I do kick up my heels sometimes.

There were lots of great moments today ... that I think I'll reserve for another day.

Sally's parents with the portrait
 Current Exhibitions
Mainly ... my home is filled with lots of art from my December Home Studio Open House. Want a tour? (Ends January 2.)

Sign up for Winter classes. Now, my Still Life class is full (but you could join a wait list) and the Portrait class has one spot left. See my web site: www.JillBanks.com, click on the classes page.


Richeson 75 Animals, Birds and Wildlife Online Exhibition, November 7- December 15, 2011. "Pretty Girl Hen" was selected as one of 75 finalists viewable online at www.richeson75.com/wildlife/index.html and in a full-color catalog.

To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

No comments: