Thursday, December 22, 2011

Fun on the Farm ... Christmas Week!

Here's Looking at You, Kid, oil on Raymar panel, 16"h x 12"w, ©Jill Banks 2011
Kid at Kidwell Farm
I don't know if you can tell, but I'm doing all I can to recharge my artistic batteries. Today really worked. Here it is, a few days before Christmas ... and it was warm enough for me to spend part of the afternoon at Kidwell Farm in Frying Pan Park ... talking to and painting the animals.

I still have a smile on my face.

For those of you following the blog, you know I've been there before, painting "Moo" and "Barn Dance" and "Red Tractor." All those have gone to new homes, and I missed both the experience of being on the farm and having paintings of the animals hanging around the house.

The best antidote: go find some new friends.

Walking into the farm today, there were so many potential subjects. The roosters and hens had escaped the coop and were wandering all around. A few of the probably less astute ones were still hanging out in the pen wondering how the others had gotten outside.

Does it get any funnier than this?
The most obvious subjects were the goats ... and indeed, the one I decided to paint. Her name is Delilah and she was a pretty excellent model. For the most part, she was all mine. Actually, I was a bit concerned that she'd end up on my side of the fence. I take it she's a mountain goat. How hard is it to get over the fence? Delilah was up on the "mountain" of stones in the corner, raising her leg to the top of the fence and leaning with all her might in my direction. I showed her my work in progress, but that didn't seem to satisfy her. (I really did. Fortunately, no one is catching my peculiarities on film.)

I saw so many reasons to go back. Dandy the cow (the most gorgeous cow) comes from a far field at 4pm to be milked. The pigs were grunting, snorting and resting toward the end of the day. There are two more goats in Delilah's pen. Those hens and roosters were calling, so to speak.

Oh. One of my discoveries is that Delilah has almost rectangular pupils ... in a landscape orientation. I wonder how that new knowledge will come in handy.

Chrysler Museum Memorial Gardens won the Raymar Art Award
By the way, I painted Here's Looking at You, Kid on one of the Raymar panels I won at the Out & About Norfolk Plein Air Painting Competition and Exhibition. There, I won the Raymar Art Award for "Chrysler Museum Memorial Garden" but I'd won a Purchase Award for a painting of an elephant from the Norfolk Zoo. Sort of related.

I'll return as soon as I can. I can't wait!

See my web site (www.JillBanks.com) gallery pages for the Feathered and Furry Friend Series if you want to see more.


 Current Exhibitions
Mainly ... my home is filled with lots of art from my December Home Studio Open House. Want a tour?

Sign up for Winter classes. Now, my Still Life class is full (but you could join a wait list) and the Portrait class has one spot left. See my web site: www.JillBanks.com, click on the classes page.



Richeson 75 Animals, Birds and Wildlife Online Exhibition, November 7- December 15, 2011. "Pretty Girl Hen" was selected as one of 75 finalists viewable online at www.richeson75.com/wildlife/index.html and in a full-color catalog.

To read more about the 100 Faces in 100 Days project on my web site (www.jillbanks.com), go to the 100 Faces Project Pages 1 and 2 where you can see all 100 of my volunteers. Click on the paintings, and go to my blog post for that person's sitting.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 1 (faces 1-54): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project.html
100 Faces in 100 Days Project Page 2 (faces 55-100): www.jillbanks.com/jillbanks/100_Faces_in_100_Days_Project_2.html
Email

No comments: