Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Home Studio Open House ... Such a Success

I actually can't believe I'm writing this tonight. I am SOOOO tired, but excited, too. Tonight I held a Home Studio Open House ... in my new home and it was nothing short of wonderful. The house ... which we've been working on since moving into it in July looked beautiful, transformed by fresh eyes who hadn't seen the layers of dust, hours occupied by plumbers, painters, tilemen, floor refinishers, roofers that have kept husband Randy and I company for so many months. Hey, it does look good.

With an open house from 3-9pm today, at 2pm, Randy was calling me from the copy shop to tell me that he was on his third machine, having broken the other two; the house was still covered with layers of frames, papers, crud; I had meatballs to make; I hadn't changed; I hadn't yet put numbers on the 145 pieces of original art that we hung all around the house; and in short, things didn't look promising at all.

I dread looking at all the cabinets and closets tomorrow that were stuffed with ... the crud ...

I was so "under the gun," frantic, whatever you want to call it ... that I didn't take pictures pre-party or during the party. So, I'll have to paint a picture with words. And, you can look at photos, post-party. Randy and I hung (145) paintings and drawings in the last week all throughout the house. I invited collectors, students, models, new neighbors, and highly enthusiastic followers for a really big party ... come as they are ... stay as long as they like ... bring friends or family or anyone they thought would enjoy this. When guests walked in, they were greeted by my mom or dad, got a name tag and master price list numbered from 1 to 145 -- a guide to where they would find each piece. A self-guided or one of us (mom, dad, Randy or me) guided tour. It was fun just to see everyone enjoy wandering around, choosing their order, thinking about what they're seeing and enjoying the comfort of our home. Fun!

So many pieces sold today ... and all were left on the wall for future delivery. Randy and I are going to feel like Santa in the next few days. This is by far my most successful event ever. When you have a difficult time remembering what you sold, it's a success.  Momentous.

What sold today:
"Birds of a Feather"
"Five Umbrellas"
"The Writer"
"Fresh Produce"
"Bridge in Venice"
"Yellow and Blue"
"Thumbelina"
"Central Park Study"
"Cellini's Perseus"
"Rialto Market"
"Rooster and Geraniums"
"Standing Pose"

Plus, pre-event sales (because of it)
"Red Velvet Cupcake"
"Green and Red Apple"

And in the previous two weeks:
"Nigerian Beauty"
"Ellen: Alla Prima Portrait"
"Figure Drawing Class"
"Oscar"
"Arance, Oranges"
"Becky"
"Hunks of Watermelon"

That's actually a bit overwhelming. But, I'm thrilled. Each sale means I'm supposed to paint more. And, THAT makes me happy.

So, sorry for the "after" party photos.

I have a lot of web site updating to do. Sold. Sold. Sold.

Paint. Paint. Paint.

The real fun of today for me was seeing the fruits of my labor.  They are everywhere.

I just feel blessed.

Many thanks to all who came and my super helpers ... Mom, Dad, and Randy.

Better photos ... maybe ... tomorrow. But I doubt it.

P.S. Since putting up this post originally ... I've sold four more paintings and drawings ("Lilia," "Boats in Burano," "Beets and Gourd," and "Central Park Carousel" plus posted additional photos and info about the Open House. Get an update here. That brings the total sales for the past thirty days to 25 paintings and drawings.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations. great news.

tom weinkle

Marian Fortunati said...

WOW...!!!
I'll say it was a success... Congratulations over and over and over!!!

A true win win... You made sales and new friends, your collectors got to enjoy new paintings for their own homes and those that just came to visit enjoyed seeing a beautiful home and lovely paintings and friendly people... WHAT could be better?

Carol McIntyre said...

Congratulations Jill! We need to hear about successes like yours. Your work and home look very celebatory. Enjoy! You have inspired others.

Jill Banks said...

Thanks Tom, Marian, and Carol. It is great news ... hopeful, too.

Christine said...

Congratulations Jill! I'm so happy for you. I can't wait to see what new paintings are coming.

Happy Holidays!

Marilyn Cornwell said...

Congratulations - a wonderful personal and professional success! The pictures are gorgeous!

Marilyn

Marilyn Cornwell said...

Jill - what a wonderful personal and professional success! Your house looks gorgeous and elegant! Congratulations all round!

Marilyn

Lanni said...

It's so nice to hear when someone does well with a home show, congratulations. May I ask when you sent out the invites did you add RSVP? Enjoy the holidays.

Jill Banks said...

Lanni,

I sent out the invites about a week before the event and said that RSVP was optional (but helpful).

I wanted to make sure people felt comfortable coming even if they didn't have a chance to RSVP.

The turn-out was about 60-70 people from about 225 invites with about 50 rsvp'ing yes. Even if people didn't come, I had overwhelmingly positive reactions to the invitation itself.

Long answer to a short question.

Take a look, too, at my follow-up post at jillbanks.blogspot.com

Jill