Monday, December 27, 2010

What I Will Do in 2011

With 2011 right around the corner, it's time to put onto paper (well, sort of) my commitments and bright ideas for the upcoming year.

I'm continuing my ongoing goal of becoming a better artist with all the subgoals that go along with that.

One top goal is to build a better me. Healthier. Thinner. Eating better. Exercising. Cooking more vs. eating out. Less television. More reading and conversations. Lots of laughter.

It will be interesting to see how this translates into my art. I see the canvas changing.

100 Faces in 100 Days Project
I'm launching a 100 Faces in 100 Days Project starting January 1. I want to capture the people that fill my life ... fellow artists, family members, friends, acquaintances, community, students, leaders, young and not-so-young, workers ... everyone. I'm interested in painting you and want you to come sit for me. My goal is to capture some sort of likeness in an hour's sitting though my guess is that it will require two  hours at the beginning of the project. All portraits will be painted in oils on the same size canvas 14"h x 11"w and I don't know what I'll do with them in the end ... but I assume I'll launch a show of some sort. (Figuring that out will be part of the project.) What I know I'll gain from this journey will be the enjoyment of spending time with 100 of you and a huge boost in my abilities as an artist. I'll be posting a Face a Day for the first 100 Days of the Year. So, you'll be able to witness my progress and see yourself or a friend on my blog.

So when would you like to sit??? Scheduling will be interesting but hopefully I'll get plenty of volunteers. Who's available January 1? Send me an email. Times are flexible and I'll work around your schedule.

More Plans:

Refueling and Rewarding. What I've found is that I need to plan inspiration time into my life first because it's FUN and second because it enriches my art. Call it reinvesting in R&D. My greatest inspiration comes from travel, visiting museums and exploring new people and places. 2010 was a great year and my reward is a trip to England this coming Spring with husband Randy combined with an art historical tour led by Rob Liberace offered through the Art League. Each trip I've taken results in a whole new me, lots of drawings and paintings, lots of new ideas. I can't wait to see what this one brings. We know that London is the main stop but where would you want me to go for an extra five days tacked onto the trip? The Cotswolds? Paris or the French countryside? Where would you go?

Working From Life. More, more, more. I'm never more excited about painting than when I'm right there in front of my subject. If the subject is constantly changing and moving? Even better. I will explore lots of unusual places to set up an easel all around town and practice so I can paint on site  during my trip to England and throughout the year. I plan to paint in restaurants, give plenty of public demos incorporating the everyday onto my canvases. I know this is going to be tough. Lots more scheduling, persuading to accomplish. I can't just show up in my studio to work. I've got to get out more. So tough, but fruitful. I'll have to figure out my Winter schedule. This is easier to do in Spring and Summer. Tougher in the cold and wind. By the way, I've been laying the groundwork for this in 2010. I've talked to restaurant owners. Painted from life in a restaurant without hiring models. Painted at the farmers' market in Great Falls. Drawn from life in Rome this past Spring. Drawn around town in Reston this Summer. So, I'm getting going.

Accomplishing a Specific Financial Revenue Goal. I've set it and communicated it to husband Randy. (He liked it.) I'm still figuring out how to get there. I know what I do and do not want to do this year. (Yes to writing/publishing a book; Yes to concentrating on a small number of promising events/shows; Yes to specific painting goals; Yes to increasing prices; Yes to continuing to teach; No to pursuing galleries or agents; No to teaching out-of-town workshops; No to less promising events/shows.) I've started with the goal vs. how to get there because it's motivational to me. I would feel so good about my financial contribution to my household if ... I expect to earn every penny through hard work, striving for improvement, creating outstanding art (and a book, and great teaching, etc.).

Family and Friend Time. My son Sam and his fiance Michelle are getting married in February and I will spend time celebrating before, during and after just enjoying this special time in their lives. (And mine as the mom.) I want to enjoy those cooking in and sharing a meal with daughter Sarah, husband Randy, Sam and Michelle, my Mom and Dad, Randy's dad and brother and sister-in-law, friends I don't see enough... Balanced by work but a whole life. We never know how long we have to enjoy each others' company but I know I'm blessed to have a wonderful, beautiful family. I will wrap my arms around them and love lots.

I think that's about it.

I wish you a healthy, happy, fulfilling New Year. Thank you for viewing my art and reading my usually long posts. YOU make me happy.

Above: Some of my Faces/Portraits from previous years. The top two are available for purchase. The second from top is a close-up of "Shalonda". The top painting is "Elizabeth".

An Addendum:
I'm trying to figure out how to phrase this ... but after a day of painting and thinking, I've been considering how my goals and actions would be different if someone told me I might have a year to live. (No one has but the concept is clarifying.) I'd spend it just like outlined above except I'd skip the revenue goal and not worry about what shows I participated in. Since no one has passed on such news, I'll proceed as planned knowing that the revenue goal and show goals are subordinate to the rest. They won't lead.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

9 comments:

Dorry said...

Goodness, what a lot of deep thinking you have been doing. I wish you much success with being able to whittle down this "to do" list and change it into a triumphant "done" list. And to enjoy the process along the way.

Jill Banks said...

Thanks, Dorry for wishing me success. It's fun thinking about it and I think they are all for the good. Sam, Sarah, Randy and I sat down to a nice home-cooked meal tonight and that was terrific!!! So, the family likes the idea. They have some doubts about my 100 Faces Project ... but I'll win them over.

Jill

Bob said...

You're an inspiration to all the rest of us. Thanks for sharing and opening my eyes to a truely dedicated artist
Bob.

Christine said...

I know you can tackle anything you set your mind to. You are amazing. And if you are interested, I am volunteering myself, Hannah (2.5yrs) and Bailey (6months) for your project. You can have all, one, or none. We are here if you need us. :0)

Jill Banks said...

Christine,
You three are all hired for this volunteer activity!! Thanks and I'm so excited. Let's pick a time/place/date.
I can't wait to meet Bailey:0)
Jill

Jerry Stocks said...

I was a flight attendant out of Dulles several years ago and wish I were still there to meet you and take classes from you. On your extra five days, I choose the Cotswolds. Leave Paris and the French countryside for another trip.

Jill Banks said...

Thank you, Jerry.
I appreciate your expert advice and I'll take it!
I wish you were around here still, too. Are you still a flight attendant?

Thanks, again.
Jill

Dorry said...

I heartily second the comment about choosing to visit the Cotswolds for the other five days of your trip to England as that is a very picturesque area. You might also want to consider the University towns of Oxford or Cambridge and/or Stratford Upon Avon. Those three cities have fascinating buildings along with the potential for great people watching/sketching/painting.

Jill Banks said...

Thanks, Dorry, too for your trip recommendations. I'll be there mid-April -- will it be picturesque then? I wish it were a bit later, but still glad to be going!

We'll consider your other top spots as well.

Jill