Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Making Some Deliveries Today: Ho, Ho, Ho

"Lemons, Sunflowers and the Blue Teakettle" in Their New Home
Randy and I went over to hang some paintings at one of my collector's home today ... something we've been doing quite a bit lately. We've got another delivery later on today.

This is a real treat for us and a treat for the purchaser as well. It feels wonderful to see my offspring (paintings) in their new home with smiles on faces all around. Today I got a kick out of rearranging a painting of mine ("Rooster Ruminations") to make room for its new friend ("Give Me Liberty"), another painting of mine. They just seem happy together. It gets rid of any separation anxiety of mine. I like their new home and family.

I love, too, that my collectors want my opinion and care to have me see the rest of their collection and my work's new home. Or, if it's a gift, they send me photos from the unveiling or excerpts of the recipient's responses. There's a special relationship between us and each purchase is like a celebration. A great match made.

For all the purchases made in the last month, I know there are so many more planned when finances allow. I love that, too. That someone is working toward the goal of owning a piece (or more) of mine. They are thinking of where they would want it to hang so it can brighten each day.

In rehanging "Rooster Ruminations" with "Give Me Liberty" and hanging "Lemons, Sunflowers and the Blue Teakettle," I thought about how I live with art in my own home to maximize the happy glances. "Lemons, Sunflowers and the Blue Teakettle" is hung to greet its new owner every day as she comes down the stairs in the morning. "Rooster Ruminations" and "Give Me Liberty" can't be missed either.

Today I heard a lot of neat and interesting comments. The painting's new owner told me that she didn't appreciate oil paintings before coming across mine. She'd always thought of them as being a bit stodgy. (I remember thinking the same thing, way back when, especially in the Still Life category. I definitely couldn't imagine painting still lifes in oil myself.) I converted her. She definitely selected  strikingly not-stodgy still lifes.

"Rooster Ruminations" and "Give Me Liberty": New Friends
I've been thinking, too, about why all these purchases are being made in this tough economy. In a way, I think the tough economy has made people reevaluate how/where/what they spend their money on and my art is coming up as a joyful, meaningful choice. Each piece is one-of-a-kind, original, made with care, chosen with just as much care by the purchaser. This isn't drive-through shopping. Lots of time is spent on deliberations and I can see just how "right" the match is for its new owner. They are thinking about the impact that art has on their lives every day versus purchasing something else where happiness is more fleeting or occasional.

I don't think I can ever say this often enough. I am so thankful, feel so fortunate, that I can create art that makes people happy to own, see and give. I feel lucky that people want to:
  • show me their collections, 
  • pick out a spot on their walls for a particular piece, 
  • let me know what painting they really want to have and where it would hang, 
  • choose a piece of my art for their Christmas present to each other, 
  • trade in a possible pair of earrings (two different purchasers this week -- one emerald, one diamond) for a lovely painting or two or three instead,
  • be a part of my life as an artist,
  • read my blog,
  • spend time on my web site or at my house or in my studio or at a show thinking about my art,
  • support me by letting me know how excited they are about what I'm doing. How cool is that?
This really is a wonderful, deeply fulfilling life.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Great post, Jill. Congratulations!