Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thinking Christmas

You know how Nordstrom's chooses to celebrate one holiday at a time? So it is with me. I don't think Christmas until Thanksgiving has passed. Black Friday is too soon, too. The Christmas season ... for me ... started yesterday when the first few decorations were pulled out of storage and I sat down to draw something for my parents' Christmas card cover. I've been doing this since I was 11 or 12. Without giving you an exact count ... it's been a LOT of years. My mom writes a Christmas poem every year and they send cards to their umpteen wonderful friends all over the country. If you're one of them, consider this a preview of what's coming, once printed, in the mail.

"The Carolers" is a drawing of two Colonial Williamsburg caroler dolls that my parents put in our gift bags from our special family gathering there in honor of my mom and dad's (Shonnie and Ken Johnson) 60th anniversary. What an incredible weekend and memory.

Now I'm off to ... continue straightening up my studio and stuff ... and maybe hang a garland or two.

Close-up of "The Carolers", General's layout pencil, charcoal pencil and Faber-Castelli brush pen on Strathmore 100% cotton Charcoal paper, approximately 10"h x 8"w, copyright Jill Banks 2010.

Oh, Come Ye Merry Gentlemen...

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435 

1 comment:

J Galt 2 said...

Jill:
Perfect choice for the card cover! What a great and fitting subject. I think the poem may be longish this time around - a very special event-filled year.