Friday, August 21, 2009

"Pluot" Painting and Return to "Many Colors" Painting




Today, I don't know what got into me. Usually I start working on a painting and can't stop. I might plan to work a little on several, but it never seems to happen. Maybe the problem is in the planning. Today I planned to tone/prime one canvas for a portrait commission and then just continue working on "Arance, Oranges". Well, I primed the canvas, then started working on "Arance, Oranges", then painted "Pluot" (a cross between an apricot and a plum, I imagine), then worked on "Many Colors" a painting I had started during a demo in the library in 2007 as part of the "A Year of Painting Together" exhibit. (Sorry about the poor photo of "Many Colors" -- wet paint and photos taken at night are a bad combo.) So my plan should always be the opposite of whatever I'd like to accomplish.

I do actually know the impetus for all this frenzied activity. I subscribe to Duane Keiser's Painting a Day blog and he just sent notice that he completed his first 100 of his 1000 small paintings series. Thus, "Pluot" was born. I'm not at 100, but I actually have quite a few. Then, someone expressed interest in "Nigerian Beauty", a portrait that's hanging in my "On the Bright Side" exhibit at the Great Falls Library (9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA) through August 31. "Nigerian Beauty" is a portrait I painted of Uchenna. "Many Colors" is another painting of her ... that happened to be sitting, unfinished, on the mantel near my home studio. Of course, I had to work on that.

There are now only two spots left in my drawing class on Monday nights. See my web site for more info on classes, supply lists, etc.

"Many Colors", 20"h x 16"w, oil on Raymar panel, copyright Jill Banks 2009.
"Nigerian Beauty" (my first portrait of Uchenna), 24"h x 18"w, oil on Raymar panel, copyright Jill Banks 2007
"Pluot", 4"h x 4"w, oil, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

In addition to painting like crazy, I've been blogging like crazy. Look at the last few posts so you don't miss anything. Look at a lot of them if you haven't visited for a while. You can always hit older posts and see more.

Most important news right now: "On the Bright Side" show ends August 31. "Still Life Poetry" ends August 30 at ArtSpace Herndon, 750 Center Street. Registration is going on now for Fall Classes offered through the Great Falls School of Art -- see my newly updated web site for more info. I'll be at the Artists' Atelier, 1144 Walker Road, Suites D&G, Great Falls, VA tomorrow for Saturday open hours, noon-4pm.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: