Monday, August 24, 2009

"Arance, Oranges" Painting Continued


This shows Day 4 on my "Arance, Oranges" painting of a Florence, Italy fruit market. I'm working on adding a three-dimensional feel to the fruits. I've already gotten the comment (many times) that viewers think they can just reach in there and pick up the fruit. When I'm done, I'll think I can do that. My goal is to achieve that with as little detail as possible -- making you do some of the work in grasping the scene.

One of my favorite parts of these market scenes are the signs. Signs of people, the human touch, the artistry of the market folks. See more of my market scenes on this blog (look back through older posts) and on my web site.

Registrations are going on now for Fall 2009 classes at the Great Falls School of Art (part of the Great Falls Foundation for the Arts). My Monday night drawing class and Tuesday morning painting classes are now full. I'm still considering adding a third class on Tuesday afternoons, 2:15-5:15 pm if there's enough interest. That class would start Tuesday, September 15 and run for nine weeks. Email me at jillbanks1@aol.com or call 703.403.7435 if you're interested.

This is the last week to view my "On the Bright Side" solo show at the Great Falls Library, 9830 Georgetown Pike, Great Falls, VA (comes down August 31) and works in the "Still Life Poetry" show at ArtSpace Herndon, 750 Center Street, Herndon, VA (comes down August 30). See my web site for more details.

"Arance, Oranges" work in progress, oil, 24"h x 36"w, copyright Jill Banks 2009.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: