Monday, August 17, 2009

My Portrait and Figure Painting Workshop


This past weekend, I held my first painting workshop "Portrait & Figure Painting in Oils" at the Great Falls School of Art. Although I'm a bit worn out -- the result of about a month of a half of lots to do -- I also thoroughly enjoyed the experience thanks to a great class of students and terrific model.

What I discovered for next time (I'm sure there will be a next time) is that the time allotted for my demo needs to be quite a bit longer. I gave myself two hours to paint, teach, talk. I needed at least three hours, and it might be nice to have three and a half.

I loved the little class size. It was perfect for plenty of one-on-one help and comfortable space in the classroom.

We literally had a blast. My favorite part was yesterday's lunch gathered in the kiddie room. We sat on chairs about 8 inches off the ground and that broke any "ice" that might have remained in the group. It's hard to not have fun in a ridiculous setting.

One of the most successful parts of the workshop was the quick poses students painted at the beginning of each day to loosen up and start seeing darks and lights. I had found these quick gestural sketches (done in oil) hugely helpful as a student myself during workshops I attended years ago at Studio Incamminati in Philadelphia.

Today, I'll be working on my two Michelle paintings. Hopefully, I'll post again later today and if not, tomorrow. My son Sam said I'd been slacking off in the blogging department. More like working my tail off and then sleeping. Just not blogging.

I have two to three spaces left in a drawing class I'm teaching through the Great Falls Foundation for the Arts this Fall on Monday nights starting September 14. Time is 7-10pm (might be adjusted to 6:30-9:30pm if it's okay with the students already signed up); cost is $300 for nine sessions plus model/materials fees TBD. My Tuesday am
"Oil Painting from Life" class is full but students may join a waiting list. While I don't want to just teach -- as much as I like it -- I would like to know how much additional interest there is in that class. (Good things happen with information.) If you're interested in signing up, please contact me by email: jillbanks1@aol.com or phone: 703.403.7435.

Totally unrelated, but something I've been thinking about... I don't believe in wishes. I do believe in dreams. I'm following mine.

Above: a scene from this past weekend's workshop.

Web: www.jillbanks.com
Blog: jillbanks.blogspot.com
Email: jillbanks1@aol.com
Phone: 703.403.7435

No comments: